Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtalerico

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2005
What are your thoughts? Pros Cons... I am in the market for either a 24" Dell or possibly a 20" (or 23") Apple.. Which one is the "best"..

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I can only compare the 20-inch models. I have a Dell 20-inch at home and an Apple 20-inch at work. They both have amazing pictures. If you hid the cases, I couldn't tell them apart.

Apple Pros:
Firewire hub
Case looks much nicer than Dell case

Dell Pros:
VGA, DVI, S-Video, and Composite inputs.
Better value for the money.

I don't think the firewire hub and case of the Apple display is worth losing the extra connections of the Dell display. I have two computers, my PS2, and my TiVo all connected to my Dell. All that and a cheaper price, I think it's silly to purchase the Apple.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Many a thread on the Apple and Dell LCDs - run a seach and you're likely to find some good discussion and some links to reviews like the barefeats comparison from some months back. The upshot is that the Dell is well reviewed, beats on price, performance and no pink issue. Not as good as Apple on the asthetics. Good luck.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
This is my Personal Opinion, I have both also..

Dell is handy if you want to plug more than one source into it. (Such as a 360 or another mac)

However when screen is black, you can see light bleeding on the screen compared to the ACD which has completely even lighting.

I hate the look of the Dell, the plastic base has no place on a monitor of this price, even if it is cheaper than the ACD.

The Dell supports portait mode - if your mac does. But somehow when you rotate the screen 90 degrees, the widescreen aspect just looks wrong in portait for me.. Too vertical.

Quality & Aesthetically I prefer the Apple, but for versatility and pretty much same screen (colour wise and clarity wise) the Dell can't be beaten on price.

There was a guy who dissasembled and rebuilt his Dell monitor with a new glossy white coat, and it looked amazing and I only wish it really did look like that normally...

Buy in confidence, both are great monitors, just decide if you need the extra sockets/money saving.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
BakedBeans said:
MRuser - does the 20inch twist 90 degrees? or just the 24inch?

Twist? Well if you mean twist as flipinto portrait, then yes. If you mean twist as in move viewing angle then no.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
MacRumorUser said:
Twist? Well if you mean twist as flipinto portrait, then yes. If you mean twist as in move viewing angle then no.

sorry - i mean twist into portrait (like the 24inch does) - so just to clarify the 20inch does flip/twist on the stand into portrait?

Subliving

macrumors member
May 31, 2005
Leeds, UK
If money was not an issue, I'd say go for the Apple display, as I'm a bit of an aesthetics kinda guy.

However, money is an issue, and the better value and connectivity of the Dell cannot be ignored.

Subliving

jtalerico

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2005
At the moment it is between these two...

Dell 24" or a Apple 20".

I have heard too many things about the pink-ish tint that the 23" ACD has and i am not willing to test my luck to see if i can get a "good one". Now between the 20 and the 24" will I ever need anything that is 24", yes it would be nice to have but all i will be using this for is possible minor video editing, programming and some gaming (AA, BF1942, CoD2(once it comes out)). Features i like are that the Dell has mutiple inputs comp, dvi, rgb,svid. But as you all said the Dell does not thave the "looks" of the ACD.

AHHH!!! I dont know!

dblissmn

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2002
Between the Dell 24 and the Apple 20 I'd go with the Apple because of the wider viewing angle; the Dell 24 by my understanding is not up to the viewing angle of the Apple 20 and 23 displays or the Dell 20. Between the Dell 20 and the Apple 20 it is a tough call; Apple for the light colored TCO'03-compliant bezel, user-friendly brightness control and the Firewire hub; Dell for cost, three year warranty without having to bundle it with a computer, the nice stand that it comes with, and the fact that it has the same LCD panel as the Apple despite the lower price. I'd have to watch the Dell like a hawk for problems with the backlight though -- I think they've had some quality control trouble there and I understand while they both have the same LCD they have different backlights.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
jtalerico said:
At the moment it is between these two...

Dell 24" or a Apple 20".

I have heard too many things about the pink-ish tint that the 23" ACD has and i am not willing to test my luck to see if i can get a "good one". Now between the 20 and the 24" will I ever need anything that is 24", yes it would be nice to have but all i will be using this for is possible minor video editing, programming and some gaming (AA, BF1942, CoD2(once it comes out)). Features i like are that the Dell has mutiple inputs comp, dvi, rgb,svid. But as you all said the Dell does not thave the "looks" of the ACD.

AHHH!!! I dont know!

go 24".

the dell monitor has high quality and many more options. you get quickly used to 24", there is just so much more you can do. the portrait mode is great for excel tables.

the only disadvantages of the dell are:
-it's harder to calibrate. the colos are simply to vivid.
-it's a dell.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The only difference is looks.

And I know that people will tell you that the Apple 23" and Dell 24" are the same LCD, but that's not true. They do get it from the same company, though. The Dell should actually be better spec-wise. It was the last time I checked, which hasn't been for quite a few months, but it should still be the case today. It's just like what people are saying about the Dell 30". It should be better than Apple's 30".

The Dell is cheaper and better. It just doesn't look as good. I'm not THAT picky, so of course I'd go for the better product. You.......well you can choose whichever.

dblissmn

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2002
Actually, on the 23 Apple vs. the 24 Dell, not only are they not the same panel but I'm not even sure the panels are from the same company, and as I noted earlier the 24 Dell has a much narrower viewing angle than the 23 Apple. As I noted before, the Apple and Dell 20 inch monitors share the same panel but reportedly have different backlights.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I have 2 dell 24" LCD Displays and love them. If you're thinking of the 20" Apple and Dell 24", go with the Dell since you get a much larger, brighter, higher contrast display. It also has multiple inputs - s-video, composite (to hook a XBox to) and all you have to do is push a button on the front panel to switch.

I have 2 computers connected to one of the monitors - and its nice to be able to hit a button and switch back and forth between the two.

And the Dells are on sale now - I just got my 2nd one for $900 - definitely worth it.

Good luck,

D

jtalerico

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2005
Mr. Anderson said:
I have 2 dell 24" LCD Displays and love them. If you're thinking of the 20" Apple and Dell 24", go with the Dell since you get a much larger, brighter, higher contrast display. It also has multiple inputs - s-video, composite (to hook a XBox to) and all you have to do is push a button on the front panel to switch.

I have 2 computers connected to one of the monitors - and its nice to be able to hit a button and switch back and forth between the two.

And the Dells are on sale now - I just got my 2nd one for $900 - definitely worth it.

Good luck,

D

I will be buying one of these in the next 2 weeks or so, do you feel that the sale will continue on?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
jtalerico said:
I will be buying one of these in the next 2 weeks or so, do you feel that the sale will continue on?

The sale should continue for bit - but don't wait too long, since they could change it at any time and you'll have to pay $1199 - $300 is a huge difference.

D

jtalerico

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2005
Mr. Anderson said:
The sale should continue for bit - but don't wait too long, since they could change it at any time and you'll have to pay $1199 - $300 is a huge difference.

D
Keepin my fingers crossed...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Another thing to consider.. Customer Support on monitors, here's my longwided experience with problems with both companies.

I found dell to be very good at customer support when monitors give trouble. I had two 2600W tv's go back because 1 dead pixel on each was ticking me off. They sent out a replacement the next day and collected at the same time.

My Dell 2005FPW had backlight problems, again a quick ring and hey-presto they sent out a replacement and picked up the faulty one.

Didn't have to wait ages on the phone at all. I don't know if this is because Dell Europe is based in Ireland that service was so quick, but I did'nt care :D

When my Apple 2004 Cinema Display developed a problem (blinking light - hardware error message) it took loads of calls and the usual crap, reset p-ram etc before Apple agreed to take in my Display to a repair center. They arranged collection, two days later it was collected. Over a week later without a monitor it gets returned. It was repaired at least for a while.. A couple of months later same thing happened. Back on the phone to Apple tech support for another Case ID. This winds me up because Apple are also based in Ireland and yet I have to be transfered to India to get a ID, before talking with aftercare in Ireland. Everytime I got through to India they have lost your customer number and details and you have to spend ages putting in the data again....

Anyway finally apple collected and repaired monitor, but when it came back another 2 weeks later opened it up and the backlight on the top had died.. Aghhhh.

As this was my third call to apple they did offer me a replacement. Unlinke dell who replaced straight away and instead of a replacement I asked for a refund... I ordered two newer Aluminum Displays for less than I paid for the 2004 model.. Every cloud.. :D

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Looking at getting a 24" Dell display in the near future, reason being it has more options and the price will be heading south come march.

I have no reason to buy it at present, however come march I might. ;) :)

jtalerico

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2005
maya said:
Looking at getting a 24" Dell display in the near future, reason being it has more options and the price will be heading south come march.

I have no reason to buy it at present, however come march I might. ;) :)
Why do you think in march they will drop?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.