Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxtraloud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
I know there are several threads concerning 2k-4k monitors and Dell monitors, especially with using the HDMI port which limits the maximum resolution to 1920x1080 instead of the native 2560 x 1440, unless the monitor color space is changed in some driver file. I have resolved the issue by using the minidisplay port instead of the HDMI port on my MacBook Pro 2015. So I can set the monitor to its proper resolution 2560 x 1440. The problem is with the scaling at lower resolutions, I would like to chose 1280x720 in HiDPI mode, to keep the 16:9 ratio, which is shown by RDM as available in HiDPI mode, but when I select it nothing happens. So I am forced to use a resolution in a different aspect ratio and I get two large horizontal bars on the sides because not all the screen estate is used. Instead if I select "720p" from the Displays menu all the screen is used but text is blurry across all apps. It's quite puzzling. Also tried SwitchResX but same problems. It's strange because under Windows I can select 1280x720 without problems. Does anyone have an idea why and if there is a fix? I am on Catalina but had the same problem before upgrading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.