Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chostwales

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Hey Guys. Its time that i add a bulk amount of storage to our mac network.

Currently Our network consists of one mac server which is a Mac Pro with Mac OSX Server 10.5 installed on it with 4 x 750GB Hard Drives with a couple of client machines. I now need to add atleast another 6TB to the network. This needs to be seen as the server as one drive so that 6TB needs to be raid prosume (raid 5)

Now in the Mac Pro server we have a Fibre Card that we dont currently use with 2 slots. My Plan is to buy a Dell PowerVault™ MD1000 (http://configure.euro.dell.com/dell...5&l=en&oc=SV41000&s=bsd&sbc=pvaul_md1000_sata) and put in the amount of hard drives i require into the Dell Storage.

Would this work. If i bought the Dell PowerVault™ MD1000, would i beable to hook this upto the mac server and use it as a storage drive? Although i do no networking. Im still very new to this.

Ideally im looking for something similar to an Xserve Raid, but with out the Apple price tag on the outside if you guys no what i mean.

Best,
Nathaniel

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
That should work, and I have had very good support and performance from NexSan arrays.

powderblue17

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2007
I don't think the MD1000 will work because it's designed to be plugged into Dell servers. You need to have a Dell Perc card installed installed in a Dell server for it to work as far as I know. I don't see how you could configure it anyway since the MD1000's I have use the server administrator program which is only for windows and linux.

chostwales

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Hey. Thanks for your reply guys.

I have just been looking at this as well and i think you are right.

What is the best way to do this?

I need the most cost effective way. The MD1000 seemed like such a good idea in theory. With 750gb HD's only £80 each. I could put 10 in for only £800 plus the £1,500 cost of the server and attach them as one big hard drive to the Mac Pro server.

Saving 4k on an Xserve Raid

Thanks,
Nathaniel

chostwales

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
So your saying i could put 14 x 750 gb hard drives at Raid 5 to give me about 7TB of storage (cant remember how to work out the exact amount).

And connect it to the mac pro server using 2 x SPF Fibre connections (I have a SPF Fibre card in the mac pro) and the server would see it as a extra hard drive? or what?

Im going past my comfort zone in this, but our company needs it desperately.

Thanks,

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
That's exactly what I'm saying. The NexSan device has its own controller and manages the array, so it is entirely self contained. You then present that array, in the form of LUNs, to your host. You can present it as one huge LUN, or several smaller LUNs. It's your choice, really. Once presented, you format the thing on your Mac Pro, just as you would any other disk.

To calculate RAID 5 storage, take the number of physical disks (14 in this case), subtract 1 (now 13), and multiply by the size (750GB). This works out to 9750 GB roughly.

chostwales

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Thanks for this. So just to confirm:

I could represent this as one big LUN to the server. So the server would see it as one big volume. (to store accounts on)

And it should easily connect to our Mac Pro server with the SPF cables that we already have?

Thanks for this belvdr, really appreciate it.

Best,

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Yep, you got it. You might want to take a look at the Promise device mentioned above. I'm not a big Promise fan, but it could have been mistreated before our group was designated the owner of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.