Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iaw4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Over a direct usb/thunderbolt to displayport connection, for the native 4k resolution, every few (3-5) seconds, the Dell S3221QS monitor goes black for 0.5 seconds at 60Hz. Lowering the refresh rate to 50Hz makes it every 20 or so seconds. At 30Hz, it holds a stable image over displayport.

Using the native HDMI on one of the new Macbook Pros, the monitor holds stable at 60Hz. If you have one, use it!

The firmware on the Dell says it is M2C101, but it does not seem software upgradeable; at least, there are no software updates on the Dell website. Oddly, Dell's own monitor OSD setting system does not take advantage of its own resolution and makes the monitor look terrible. You would think they would spend a few bucks on the software to make it look nicer to new purchasers.

The monitor looks good. Clearly, compared to a 5K iMac (or a Macbook display), the monitor is not as sharp. However, it is reasonably sharp at a distance of 1.5 feet.

To make windows more alike for dragging from one monitor to another, I chose with "More Space" as the scaled setting on the Macbook Pro 16. The two then look about the same. (I do want to keep native resolution on both; I presume on the external display, macos scales via sending a lower resolution signal that the monitor scales up (yikes), while on the internal macbook pro display the "More Space" setting does not.

The Reason

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2008
I do not have your black screen issue, but I do have a flickering screen during high contrast issue. And it is an issue with both DP or HDMI at all settings. I spent 6 hours today trying to fix it, but it’s going back to Dell. I tried at least 10 cables/adapters, with no luck. Seems like it is a known issue searching the forums with M1 Macs, and even Dell acknowledges the issue over DP, but I even tried their suggested HDMI adapter with no luck. I love the display, and it was a great price, but I’m not keeping it.

Akapplefan

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
I am looking to buy the Dell 32P3222qe monitor.

Anyone have any experience with this monitor? Would be used with my new MBP 14in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.