Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sirisy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2015
Brazil
Has anyone tested the new macOS Mojave with the Dell up3218k display connected through an thunderbolt 3 egpu? was added support for 8k@60hz in the macOS?

tks all

sirisy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2015
Brazil
For those who care, I ended up buying an UP3218K and, unfortunately, Mojave (Beta Public 2) does not support 8k and 60hz. The system sees two 4K monitors (not one 8k only). The test was done on a macbook pro 15 inch (2016) with a RX 580 connected via thunderbolt 3 external gpu chassis (akitio node 3)

y4m8JcTcXFRV4LR3MB-Y8Y3c01rFIFpnVfATdaCPiaFBDcmasAqxYaTbeuwOJafJu43v7hP1UTsyo271dqb6zONL9J-vEVmHSm9ft4JSQRAX02oMWD3oizmg_ciL_jIKxOvlNoDU0k2xcGXO3H853vQwOqu6k4KtTfqKneb0OOlYxGIdxyOYrudUwGnYbFwZG3iMVZIknNCPyTxhVmMEf66-g

Reactions: Fjan

Crash0veride

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
Cincinnati
Well I happened to be looking up some mackintosh related things regarding custom display resolutions, but this should theoretically work on a genuine Mac, though with 8k I'm not so sure. I was messing around with making Luna Display work in hidpi with 3 other displays.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/adding-using-hidpi-custom-resolutions.133254/

Need to download IORegistryExplorer and it's mildly technical but might be worth a try.

Reactions: sirisy

sirisy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2015
Brazil
Well I happened to be looking up some mackintosh related things regarding custom display resolutions, but this should theoretically work on a genuine Mac, though with 8k I'm not so sure. I was messing around with making Luna Display work in hidpi with 3 other displays.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/adding-using-hidpi-custom-resolutions.133254/

Need to download IORegistryExplorer and it's mildly technical but might be worth a try.

I ended up returning the monitor when I confirmed it did not support 8k@60hz on Mojave. Now I am curious to know if the macOS Catalina (10.15) finally added support to it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.