Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
Hi Jack,

I’ve got a WD19 with work for my work dell laptop. Luckily enough it just worked for me with the M1 MBA, when I plugged her in.

I got the below tip from Amazon, hope that helps and fixes your issue:

Great docking station, but BIOS update required:

Works fine, but most devices require a BIOS update (just Google for DELL BIOS update and download from DELL). Furthermore, a setting must be made in the BIOS if Bitlocker (Microsoft encryption) is active, namely “Call BIOS (F12 at boot) -> Post Behavior -> Fast Boot -> Thorough -> Save”).

Best wishes
Martin
I did update the dock but it still didn't work. I also ran Dell Command on my Dell and it was up to date.

• Sad
Reactions: Marty_Macfly

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2020
I did update the dock but it still didn't work. I also ran Dell Command on my Dell and it was up to date.

Gutted for you Jack,

As I say, it just worked with my M1 MBA.

Bit of a blessing as the work desk at home is a bit small, so multiple hubs to would be a pain

Regards
Martin

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2020
Hi All,

hhhmmmmm.... step by step trouble shooting!

Long story short: Need to set monitor to 60Hz
1. My M1 MBA has been suffering with pink screen crashes every few days. Also safari being very sluggish scrolling up and down etc.
2. I turn't off the non-native "Ad blocker" app - and Safari sped up straight away!
- Part of this issue sorted here.

3. ...but almost a week later - I had pink screen crash again. Even though safari fine - with loads of tabs open etc.

4. More investigations - came across this thread again:
- My monitor is capable of 144Hz refresh rate. Works fine with Windows laptop, through this Wd19 work hub
- I had my MBA set to 120Hz - I set to this as the "best compromise" as I was fiddling with the settings when 1st got the Macbook.
- I now set to 60Hz, as described in this thread, as the limit for this hub.
- No more pink screen crashes now!

Conclude:

- OK - not the greatest Hub to have with a M1 MBA.
- It works though, subject to its limitations.
- I'll keep mine, as need for work laptop as home set up, and limited space at desk. No space for another hub set up for the Mac either.

Reactions: Jack Neill

Zizero

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2021
Germany
Hello,
I would like to share my experiences with the WD19TB and my Macbook Pro 15 2016 (4 Thunderbolt ports).
Since I've had three monitors for a while, I needed a dock because the connections were too few. For this reason I searched for a long time and at some point got stuck on the Dell D6000. So far, this has worked well except for the charging performance of my Macbook. Unfortunately, the D6000 only charges with a maximum of 60 watts, which often left my Battery empty over a hard day. It also got extremely hot and the "Display Link Monitor" software required extremely high resources.
So I searched further and came across the WD19TB, which according to forums and discussions on the net is not suitable for the Macbook and a triple monitor setup.
Nevertheless, I ordered the dock because I simply need at least 90W charging power.
Result: all three external screens (1x 4k 28 inch 60Hz, 1x WQHD 27 inch 120Hz, 1x 1080p 24 inch 60Hz) + the internal monitor of the Macbook work perfectly.
I plugged my 4k monitor into the display port connection on the dock, the 1080p via HDMI with an adapter (to USB C) into the Thunderbolt port on the dock. (where the cable goes to the notebook) I plugged the WQHD monitor directly into the Macbook via the display port on USB C so that I can use my 120Hz.

And now comes the important part!
You have to use the Thunderbolt port on the dock for one monitor. You can connect the other display to one of the other ports (HDMI or Display Port).
The Macbook Pro 15 has two Thunderbolt controllers. If you now connect the dock with the two monitors on one side and a monitor on the other side via the USB C port, you can use 3 monitors. I'm pretty sure this won't work on a 13 inch Macbook. But on a 16 inch it should.

Hope I could help a bit.

jasonp99

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2007
I have the Dell WD-19 dock. It's definitely not perfect even with Dell equipment. It wouldn't drive a single 1920x1200 monitor from my Dell Latitude 5400. Had to use a upgraded dock to get that to work.

But now I'm trying to use this WD-19 with my new M1 14" MBP. It drives the monitor fine (connected thru DisplayPort), but the MBP doesn't recognize the mouse/keyboard that are connected to the same dock (via a USB switcher so I can switch between the Dell/MBP). If I connect the mouse/keyboard directly to the MBP (using a USB-A to USB-C adapter) then it works fine.

In the Hardware Report under USB, I can see the "Keyboard Hub" visible, but still no action from the mouse or keyboard. Any suggestions?

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
I have the Dell WD-19 dock. It's definitely not perfect even with Dell equipment. It wouldn't drive a single 1920x1200 monitor from my Dell Latitude 5400. Had to use a upgraded dock to get that to work.

But now I'm trying to use this WD-19 with my new M1 14" MBP. It drives the monitor fine (connected thru DisplayPort), but the MBP doesn't recognize the mouse/keyboard that are connected to the same dock (via a USB switcher so I can switch between the Dell/MBP). If I connect the mouse/keyboard directly to the MBP (using a USB-A to USB-C adapter) then it works fine.

In the Hardware Report under USB, I can see the "Keyboard Hub" visible, but still no action from the mouse or keyboard. Any suggestions?
Have you updated the FW lately? I was having problems with my M1 Air even connecting to it and I updated for 5.0x and now it works but Ethernet is hit or miss. It works perfectly with my i5 air so I am thinking its a FW issue with M1.

jasonp99

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2007
Software Update isn't showing any needed updates for Monterey 12.1. I have 7429.61.2 which appears to be the latest. I can still use the dock for power & display, then need a 2nd cable for keyboard/mouse. Not ideal, but saves one cable going to the MBP. I'm in the market for a new monitor (current one is over 10 yrs old, bought at same time as my last Mac), if I can get a 32" 4K monitor with USB-C power output+display, and USB-A inputs for keyboard+mouse that would be ideal and eliminate the need for a dock for the Mac.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
Software Update isn't showing any needed updates for Monterey 12.1. I have 7429.61.2 which appears to be the latest. I can still use the dock for power & display, then need a 2nd cable for keyboard/mouse. Not ideal, but saves one cable going to the MBP. I'm in the market for a new monitor (current one is over 10 yrs old, bought at same time as my last Mac), if I can get a 32" 4K monitor with USB-C power output+display, and USB-A inputs for keyboard+mouse that would be ideal and eliminate the need for a dock for the Mac.
I meant the firmware of the dock itself, you'll need Windows to run the updater but after I updated mine my M1 finally worked.

jasonp99

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2007
I meant the firmware of the dock itself, you'll need Windows to run the updater but after I updated mine my M1 finally worked.

oh, that. Yes, when I had the initial issues with my Dell 5400 I updated the FW to latest (that still didn't fix the Dell issue, but interestingly my wife's work Dell 7200 worked fine with it. Go figure). It is so weird that it will pass DisplayPort, but not USB-A.

rejetto

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2022
italy
i'm right now using my WD19 with a MBP 16" 2021.
The only problem i'm experiencing is that macos is not offering me the rear jack as a sound output, only the front jack.
I enjoyed having both with Windows, to get speakers and headphones connected at the same time.
If I don't find a solution I'll be forced to attach headphones whenever necessary -_-

tjoelbryant

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2023
So I have the Dell WD19 and 2x Dell U2412M monitors connecting to a Macbook Pro M1 (2022).

Failed attempts:
  1. 2x Display Port into WD19, WD19 USB-C output into Mac (causes mirroring)
  2. 1x Display Port into WD19 + 1x Display Port to HDMI output into WD19, WD19 USB-C output into Mac (did not recognize HDMI in, recognized Display Port output on 1 monitor)
  3. 1x Display Port into WD19 + 1x Display Port to HDMI output into Macbook HDMI input, WD19 USB-C output into Mac (did not recognize HDMI in, recognized Display Port output on 1 monitor)

Working:
  1. 1x Display Port into WD19 + 1x Display Port to USB-C output into Macbook USB-C, WD19 USB-C output into Mac (recognizes BOTH external monitors labelled as U2412M(1) and U2412M(2). Extends desktop beautifully.
In the Working case, the Dell monitors will either work as extended displays of the main desktop, a main desktop in the configuration (interchangably), OR mirrors of either of the two other displays.

I hope this helps someone acquire the necessary cables. I did trial and error with HDMI, HDMI to Display Port, Display Port to Mini-display port (didn't realize I don't have a mini-display port on the monitor turns out it's USB-B), USB-B to USB-A.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.