Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Haunted_Robot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I apologize in advance as I've scoured these forums (as well as google), and was unable to find the answer.

I have a late 2013 Mac Pro and was gifted by a co-worker a Dell Thunder Bolt 3 Dock (Manual). I know TB3 Docks can work on the 2013 Mac Pro with the TB3/TB2 Apple Adapter, but slightly confused on this docks setup. The dock has a main TB3 Male connector cable on the side, as well as a TB3 Female port on the back. I am wondering:

1. Can I use this dock properly using an Apple TB3/TB2 Adapter and plugging into the female TB3 port on the back (#8)?

2. If I can use the dock using the setup in question #1, Would I still be able to use the Male TB3 cable on the dock for additional TB3 items (HDD or TB3 Audio Interface?) without damaging those items, and/or daisy chain other items?

(Side Note: I will likely have 2 displays on this dock and utilize the USB-C/USB Headphone ports on the front)

Thank you for any advice! :D

Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 12.16.34 PM.png

Edit: Spelling Correction

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.