Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
But that's one of the biggest selling points of PC.
You don't have to purchase Dell. There are tens of other OEMs out there :)
I've looked at others too but honestly there are only so many brands that make both stylish and powerful laptops. I like XPS' design language and that their configurations are as powerful as they can put in a such package, but as I said, their quality control lacks.

Razer is out of the question due to their warranty policies, I don't have any authorized repair shops in my country, that means I'd have to send it overseas if something goes wrong with it.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I've looked at others too but honestly there are only so many brands that make both stylish and powerful laptops. I like XPS' design language and that their configurations are as powerful as they can put in a such package, but as I said, their quality control lacks.

Razer is out of the question due to their warranty policies, I don't have any authorized repair shops in my country, that means I'd have to send it overseas if something goes wrong with it.
Why is Razer out of the question I also live in a country where there is no local repair.

When my 15" chroma KB had a fault on a couple of keys Razer sent me a pre-paid courier pick-up and return by Fed Ex to the repair center.

If you buy from HIDevoultion you can buy discounted courier pick-up from them and they handle the repair with Razer for you or Adorama you can buy international warranty

No reason not to buy IMO :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: alpi123

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013

XPS lineup is stylish. Looks way better to me than current MBP.
But I chose Lenovo Thinkpad because of QC. And honestly, they look and feel excellent when you actually hold them. Not good as XPS, but I value quality over looks.

No reason not to buy IMO :)

Maybe he's not from US? I was never brave enough to purchase Razer device, simply because I live on another continent, and I can't purchase from stores you've mentioned. And I don't trust Razers QC at all. Too many horror stories online for me to gamble my money away :)

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Maybe he's not from US? I was never brave enough to purchase Razer device, simply because I live on another continent, and I can't purchase from stores you've mentioned. And I don't trust Razers QC at all. Too many horror stories online for me to gamble my money away :)
He,s not from the US and like you i live on anther continent:)

I specifically noted these US companies as they ship internationally and have other warranties , so unless your country is on a banned list :) you should have no issues

As it happens in my case Razer came good and supported me internationally. I think generally over the last few years they have stepped up their game

Given my repair turnaround took 8 days including shipping to another country I suspect this would be better than any apple local support here that is only mail in.

Reactions: c0ppo

Serban55

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 18, 2020
Backlight bleed is an issue for all brands. Plenty of threads on here in the past about it with MBA/MBP. There is a comparison for everything.
Physics ...if you open the display...you would see that the display is a lot more impeded with the bezel...while on the dell because the bezels are so thin..the display is just 1-1.5mm into the bezel...so light bleed
Apple had that a lot in the past too especially into the imacs

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I would not buy either of them at this time unless I had a specific need.

The M1 is a great machine but all of Apple's offerings are low-end systems. The RAM and ports are more important to me than the raw CPU power. The raw CPU power is fantastic and we all know that the M1X systems will have the ports and RAM offerings that we expect from their mid-range and pro systems.

It is hard to buy an x86 laptop for me knowing what the M1 can do. The XPS 13 is quite good and I'd likely go for an XPS 15 or XPS 17 if I had to buy a laptop right now. But my 2014 MacBook Pro 15 takes care of my mobility needs right now; and I have a 2015 MacBook Pro 15 as a backup.

One thing about living in the Apple ecosystem: a lot of patience helps.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I bought a 13" XPS about 6 years ago, the first model with the edge to edge screen. It still works, mostly, and by and large I have no complaints with it.

I replaced my wife's aging Macbook Pro with an M1 Macbook Air for Christmas. Overall, they're both good machines for different reasons.

I prefer the M1 Macbook Air because it has iMessage and I don't have to worry about whether it has a charge. It always does. Otherwise there's not much of a difference between the two.

Reactions: Donfor39

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Apples and Oranges - more so now then ever before.

Given that Macs are now on a different chip set, it boils down to a users needs and preferences. Need windows, or want to play games or need access to a wider array of hardware then get a PC. if all of your apps are on macOS or your needs are such that macOS fits then get the Mac

I'm not taking anything away from the battery life and processor power of the Mac. At the end of the day, if it doesn't run the apps you need, a 12 hour battery won't help you.
I am coming late to this discussion, but I have to say you are absolutely right.

There are lots of comparisons between the M1 MacBook Air/Pro and the Dell XPS 13, and reviewers do compare them in terms of design, performance, battery life, display, and so on.

It is absolutely pointless. It depends on what kind of software you need to use. If your purpose is to run Microsoft Office or play games or to use Windows-only software, then you are better under a Windows computer, no matter how much faster a Mac may be.

A comparison between a MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air would be much more useful. Or between a XPS 13 and a Surface Laptop.

Reactions: maflynn

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Yep, if you embrace the future , you go mac
If you care about legacy you go with windows oem
For me, my 2019 dell xps will be gone, after using and adapting my work for m1, to feel that there is no more heat or fan noise and its my second day that iam not taking my charger with me since i know i can easy do my things all day and charging the mac over night... its makibg my dell and other windows oem to feel ancient
Cant wait to see the imacs and the 14”/ 16” mbp
It depends on what you consider the future.

This year or next, Mac laptops are expected to be redesigned. The current M1 MacBook Air/Pro may no longer represent the future after new laptops get new features.

Intel, AMD and Qualcomm are certainly trying to beat Apple right now. Intel has a new CEO after the company failed to deliver year after year. These companies will come up with new chips this year and the next, which will compete with the M1 processor and any new processor Apple may come up with. The Apple chip may still be faster, but the gap will become closer. Windows is set for a major redesign this year. And Windows laptops are getting new features every year.

So, Apple does not have monopoly over the future.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
My XPS 13 just shipped, I’m so excited! Got a fantastic Presidents’ Day deal last week and ordered a 11 gen tiger lake core i7, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD, non-touch FHD+ model. Can’t wait to try it out. The Iris xe graphics should be able to handle games in “low” mode with decent frame rates. It’s replacing a 2014 MacBook Pro 13

Reactions: Donfor39 and mi7chy

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
My XPS 13 just shipped, I’m so excited! Got a fantastic Presidents’ Day deal last week and ordered a 11 gen tiger lake core i7, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD, non-touch FHD+ model. Can’t wait to try it out. The Iris xe graphics should be able to handle games in “low” mode with decent frame rates. It’s replacing a 2014 MacBook Pro 13

Enjoy one of the few devices to support the new AV1 hardware decode. Go into YouTube Settings > Playback and performance and select Always prefer AV1.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
Apples and Oranges - more so now then ever before.

Given that Macs are now on a different chip set, it boils down to a users needs and preferences. Need windows, or want to play games or need access to a wider array of hardware then get a PC. if all of your apps are on macOS or your needs are such that macOS fits then get the Mac

I'm not taking anything away from the battery life and processor power of the Mac. At the end of the day, if it doesn't run the apps you need, a 12 hour battery won't help you.
100 percent true words. and normal thinking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.