Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alphonsus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2017
Massachusett
Was wondering whether I should go for the 8gb and 256 SSd or the 16gb and 512 SSD. Its $200 more and was wondering if its worth it. Definitely probably don't need the 512 SSD but was wondering is their a performance difference?

I do game but I don't play any high intense modern games. Just games that require less than 8 gb ram, infact the ones I play just need 4gb minimum. I mainly just watch Youtube, search web, and do work. Going to get into creating Youtube videos but nothing too big, less than 8 min and at 1080.

Last edited:

Merkava_4

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2010
California
I remember the old days when MacRumors would ban you for even whispering the word Dell, let alone put the word in a thread title. :D

Last edited:

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
A Dell forum might be better to ask this question on because I find that Windows and Mac RAM consumption are not necessarily the same. Macs tend to be quite efficient with RAM, where as a Windows 10 machine may not be so efficient. Further, a Dell forum would have more members capable of telling you what your future upgrade options are and how they compare to purchasing the upgrades outright, from a financial perspective.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Macs tend to be quite efficient with RAM, where as a Windows 10 machine may not be so efficient.

It depends on the version of OSX. Lion and Mavericks were much worse than Windows. The recent ones have been a bit better, but I have still found this to be an often repeated myth, similar to the idea that Windows must be reinstalled every 6 months.

I would point out that 4GB is tight on any operating system these days. Even web browsers can easily gobble up a couple GB depending on what extensions are used.

pvanberlo

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
The Netherlands
Was wondering whether I should go for the 8gb and 256 SSd or the 16gb and 512 SSD. Its $200 more and was wondering if its worth it. Definitely probably don't need the 512 SSD but was wondering is their a performance difference?

I do game but I don't play any high intense modern games. Just games that require less than 8 gb ram, infact the ones I play just need 4gb minimum. I mainly just watch Youtube, search web, and do work. Going to get into creating Youtube videos but nothing too big, less than 8 min and at 1080.

I can only say: don't do it. I had a Dell XPS 15 9560 for about 3 months. I just went back to a MacBook Pro. Never getting a Dell again.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016

For $200 I'd opt for the 16GB RAM and 512 SSD upgrade...

I find that Windows and Mac RAM consumption are not necessarily the same. Macs tend to be quite efficient with RAM, where as a Windows 10 machine may not be so efficient.

False! I am currently using 2.3GB of RAM of the 16GB on my Win 10 machine. Ever take a gander @ mac usage?

Last edited:

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
Was wondering whether I should go for the 8gb and 256 SSd or the 16gb and 512 SSD. Its $200 more and was wondering if its worth it.
That upgrade would cost you a little less compared to doing them yourself, go for it. Also if you go for the standard capacity battery, you can even put in a regular 2.5" drive if you ever want extra storage.

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
Are you really asking what config you should go with for a Windows machine on a Mac support forum?

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this the 'Alternatives to Mac hardware' section?
[doublepost=1497347068][/doublepost]
Strange threads on Macrumors.

I'm looking for an electric pepper grinder.

R.
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this the 'Alternatives to Mac hardware' section?
[doublepost=1497347111][/doublepost]
I remember the old days when MacRumors would ban you for even whispering the word Dell, let alone put the word in a thread title. :D

Reactions: raqball

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
False! I am currently using 2.3GB of RAM of the 16GB on my Win 10 machine. Ever take a gander @ mac usage?

All the time. Notice the difference between the wired memory and app memory.

Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 1.18.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 1.18.51 AM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.