Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I just saw this review of the Dell XPS and XPS Plus and was shocked to see that Dell added their version of the Apple Touch Bar.

Did Apple mess up by giving up too early on the Touch Bar? Maybe this it going to be something on other Windows laptops? This is an interesting topic in my opinion.

If for some reason the link doesn't take you to the exact time it's 4 min and 2 seconds

Yes I found a post mentioning this when the laptop was announced at CES but no thread on this specific topic.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Not really sure it's a touch bar in the Apple sense, more of a design choice. Not like you can do that much with it, just additional buttons. Some will argue it creates the same basic issues of the Apple touch bar of not having a physical escape and function keys. Not even sure I like that keyboard with no gaps between keys.

Apple's touch bar should have been a lot better than it was but it just didn't feel like they were that committed to it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I thought it was a horrible mistake for apple, and its awful on the Dell.

Last edited:
Reactions: c0ppo and TSE

Cuesca

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Dell had these capacitive touch buttons for a while now, I used to own a Dell XPS M1530 from 2009 with them. They are horrible, they usually do not work or just start pressing themselves causing the CD/DVD player to constantly make an eject sound.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.