Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Hello

Due to the ongoing issues in China my Lenovo Yoga C940 has been delayed for about a month plus.
I've been looking at i7 , 16gig ram and 512 HD as a base spec.
Replacing my 2012 mac book pro for general usage and at some point was going to add a eGPU for a bit of gaming.

I've never had a touchscreen PC and maybe i don't really need a 2-1 as i have a 11" IPP.

Due to the delays I've been looking at the best UK options and Dell have the old XPS.

Not knowing Laptops in detail I wonder what the forum would advise?
Wait or XPS or some thing different?

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
The older XPS has a larger Bezel, no windows hello, so that one for me is a nonstarter. I’m looking at the XPS 13 9300, which has that larger brighter screen, smaller bezels, Has a very high brightness level of over 500 nits. They just came out and they have the color I like, which is the white but I’m now waiting for a good coupon for a discount. Price is pretty high for what I want. The Lenovo has a good keypad that has a longer key travel than the XPS, but it’s not a dealbreaker for me. With 16 GB of memory/4K, this notebook is over $2000 with warranty and taxes and that is kind a hard to swallow until there is a deal or coupon that comes out.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
The older XPS has a larger Bezel, no windows hello, so that one for me is a nonstarter. I’m looking at the XPS 13 9300, which has that larger brighter screen, smaller bezels, Has a very high brightness level of over 500 nits. They just came out and they have the color I like, which is the white but I’m now waiting for a good coupon for a discount. Price is pretty high for what I want. The Lenovo has a good keypad that has a longer key travel than the XPS, but it’s not a dealbreaker for me. With 16 GB of memory/4K, this notebook is over $2000 with warranty and taxes and that is kind a hard to swallow until there is a deal or coupon that comes out.
Do you really need a 4K screen in a 13” laptop? I totally understand why it’s nice, but at 13”, I would still need to scale up the font size on a standard FHD screen. Might save you a few $$ as well.

(not meant to be argumentative; just talkin’)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I like the font sharpness from the 4K screen even on a 13 inch, however you are correct, you really don’t need it and it save a few bucks
I have 4k on my 15" thinkpad and in all honesty, its been a waste. I had FHD on the razer and now that I've used both, the FHD is a better display resolution for the 15" form factor - at least for my usage.

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
I have 4k on my 15" thinkpad and in all honesty, its been a waste. I had FHD on the razer and now that I've used both, the FHD is a better display resolution for the 15" form factor - at least for my usage.

now that’s my problem. I want sharp text and I can’t see both of the screen resolution, one with 4K and one with FHD at my local Best Buy, or anywhere else. I too had 4K on my ThinkPad and it was good but still no way to compare side-by-side. So what I’ll do will be to purchase a 4K model and if I don’t like it, send it back.

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
In the end i got an XPS13 4K, screen colours look fanstastic, nice keyboard compared to the 2016 MPB, just trying to get used to the trackpad. Screen looks a bit wierd compared to the MAC but I guess over time i will get used to it.

Reactions: Breaking Good

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Nice, congrats on your new baby.

The thing I probably miss the most on my mac, or at least what's coming to mind right now, is the trackpad. While PC makers have finally made some significant inroads on the trackpad, Apple still has the best.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
In the end i got an XPS13 4K, screen colours look fanstastic, nice keyboard compared to the 2016 MPB, just trying to get used to the trackpad. Screen looks a bit wierd compared to the MAC but I guess over time i will get used to it.
What looks weird about it?

Reactions: Never mind

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Its just more widescreen and apprears you have less screen space than on a mac as it has slightly less height.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Yes, this is accurate. Many PC laptops use 16:9 displays while Apple uses 16:10. One reason I like my Surface Book’s 3:2 display — tall enough that I don’t feel squished.

I also tend to use my iPad in portrait, so I get the height.

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Well that didn’t long, although showing connected to Wi-Fi with 100% signal it just wouldn’t load anything over the network connection.
Dell couldnt see any issues so it was back to John Lewis for a refund.
Had to pull the MBP off ebay and it’s currently doing a restore of the old build.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.