Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Delta Airlines today updated its Fly Delta apps for the iPhone and iPad, allowing customers to access free in-flight entertainment through its new Delta Studio initiative. Avaliable on all domestic and two-cabin aircrafts, the app will allow access to a number of TV shows and movies including Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Frozen through on-board Wi-Fi.

delta_studio.jpg
The updated Fly Delta app also allows access to past and current issues of Delta's Sky Magazine, as well as the Glass Bottom Jet feature which provides tracking information for a current flight. The airline is also allowing users of the Gogo Video Player app [Direct Link] to stream and access content through in flight entertainment services.

Delta's move to offer in-flight entertainment through its apps for iOS devices follows a similar move by United Airlines, which started its movie services for the iPhone and iPad in April. This September, Hawaiian Airlines will also begin offering iPad minis on flights, as those units will come with equipped with a variety of movies and TV shows in addition to games.

Fly Delta for the iPhone [Direct Link] and iPad [Direct Link] are free apps and can be downloaded through the App Store.

Article Link: Delta Airlines Launches In-Flight Entertainment for iOS Devices Through Updated Apps

Eddy Munn

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
Last week was the first time I ever experienced flying on an Airplane, 4 out of 5 were Delta on my trip, and I must say that their service and entertainment was superb!
Would of loved to experienced this though on my iPad.

Last edited:

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Wow, very cool Delta!

Now...where are all the blurry leaked iPhone 6 pics from Foxconn's manufacturing lines? (All we've seen to date are mockups and supposed individual parts). The iPhone should be in full production by now. Very surprised we haven't yet seen the full legit unit.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I would rent a clean one certified by a reputable international organisation that all my data gets removed after use for $5.

Definitely not buying an iPad or iPhone, or carrying any tablet.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
Very cool idea. Makes sense to save on the interface and let people use what they know already! Just buy a server and heavy duty router for next to nothing and serve it all offline to a grateful public, this should be the standard on all airlines world wide.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Very cool idea. Makes sense to save on the interface and let people use what they know already! Just buy a server and heavy duty router for next to nothing and serve it all offline to a grateful public, this should be the standard on all airlines world wide.

Agreed. Why try to design a crappy interface yourself when you can just piggyback off of Apple's. Great move.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Neat. Air Canada has had this on their Rouge flights for a while now. In first class, they give you the option of either using your own iPad or using a complementary one. I think in economy, they offer to rent out iPads if you don't have one of your own.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Ah yes, good good. Let's just hope the planes don't go missing, or get shot down, or be driven by an inexperienced pilot, or accidentally fly into a sandstorm.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I would rent a clean one certified by a reputable international organisation that all my data gets removed after use for $5.

Definitely not buying an iPad or iPhone, or carrying any tablet.

Why do all 'I would willingly pay...' type of posts always end with a spectacularly underwhelming sum of money?

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Why do all 'I would willingly pay...' type of posts always end with a spectacularly underwhelming sum of money?

What would you consider a whelming sum of money to rent an iPad with access to only the listed content?

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
That's not what he/she was offering to pay for. Read it again.

I must not get it. I would worry that they are dirty. Especially if children are using it. I'd might pay $5 to $10 per flight if it was fully charged and sealed inside a sanitized case. Still, I'd rather just use mine. Which is good, since that's what they are offering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.