Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaptinKrunch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Does any know or have used any kind of deployment tool (one that pushes and installs .pkg's/copies .app's, and/or automatically runs scripts) to Macbooks. I've been working in a test-bed with Server and Open Directory/Profile Manager to attempt to fill the void in my company's infrastructure but the issue is that that it is a pull model not a push model. That meaning there is a client on the MacBook you want to manage and at a set interval it checks in and see if there are any updates that it should pull down. What I would ideally like is a way to tell it from the server side that each client needs to have this software on it and from the server I can push the software to the client and install it. I know for Windows you have SCCM which can do this and several other types of software but I have yet to see anything other than Apple Remote Desktop. I do know that in some capacity that SCCM can deploy to Macbooks but that is a long story where the SCCM admin in my company said no it can't and won't entertain any questions on the matter.

TLDR
I need a way to push software from the server to a MacBook/group of MacBooks rather than have the client pull updates down from the server. Any Ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.