Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

'Portrait Mode' on 4.7 inch iPhone?

• Most likely on the 2017 iPhone.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Not for a few years.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Not until it features a dual lens.

Votes: 15 75.0%

• Total voters

ocanalix

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
United States
Do you think 'Portrait Mode' or "depth effect" will ever feature on the regular iPhone? Similar to how OIS eventually made its way to the 4.7 inch phone.
If so, do you think Apple will develop a way to generate a 'depth-map' with a single lens, or will all models simply adopt 2 camera systems?

https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F203774%2F73fffe0bfb8e4c19b2404b23d0efadb6.jpg

Last edited:

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
I think it's very difficult to do with a single lens. If you consider a standard iPhone photo, the majority of the image is in reasonable focus due to the small focal length and small sensor. The phone would need to determine what was foreground, middle and background and then apply the blurred background.

The only hope of doing it with a single lens is creating one with a variable aperture perhaps.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Apple likes giving more incentives to "justify" the $100 price hike for the plus models. Now that the 4.7" models have OIS, pple needs more reason to make the plus "special."

Furthermore, I would imagine that the software is specifically written to be used with the dual cameras.

I just don't see it coming to the smaller models any time soon.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Apple likes giving more incentives to "justify" the $100 price hike for the plus models. Now that the 4.7" models have OIS, pple needs more reason to make the plus "special."

Furthermore, I would imagine that the software is specifically written to be used with the dual cameras.

I just don't see it coming to the smaller models any time soon.

You don't feel that a bigger screen justifies a higher price tag? Most of us buy them because we like the bigger screen not because we think its "special".

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
You don't feel that a bigger screen justifies a higher price tag? Most of us buy them because we like the bigger screen not because we think its "special".

It sucks for those who prefer smaller screens but still would like to have dual lens camera.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
It sucks for those who prefer smaller screens but still would like to have dual lens camera.

I completely understand that its just the other person makes it should like apple is ripping people off for charging an extra 100 for a bigger phone that comes with a few extra features "special". Its almost like he saying they should have put the iPhone 7 battery in the plus, but yeah I'm with you. Problem with the 7 is you need to get as much battery in there as possible.

Reactions: bchreng

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I don't know that I do or don't. Doesn't really matter to me, as I have no interest in a phone of that size. Just giving my thoughts on what Apple could be thinking.

Other than real estate, can't think of any other reason why Apple would put more features in the plus, but they have for all 3 gernerations thus far.

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I completely understand that its just the other person makes it should like apple is ripping people off for charging an extra 100 for a bigger phone that comes with a few extra features "special". Its almost like he saying they should have put the iPhone 7 battery in the plus, but yeah I'm with you. Problem with the 7 is you need to get as much battery in there as possible.

Ah I see. My mistake. Sometimes I wish they would make the 7 thicker to make a little more space for a larger battery and maybe to reduce the size of the camera bump a bit.
[doublepost=1473607824][/doublepost]
Do you think 'Portrait Mode' or "depth effect" will ever feature on the regular iPhone? Similar to how OIS eventually made it's way to the 4.7 inch phone.
If so, do you think Apple will develop a way to generate a 'depth-map' with a single lens, or will all models simply adopt 2 camera systems?

https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F203774%2F73fffe0bfb8e4c19b2404b23d0efadb6.jpg

Seems near impossible. I think 2 cameras are needed for depth perception.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
I think the 4.7'' will get it with the next redesign. If they make a 7s with the same design, i doubt they'll add it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.