Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I’m using the Adobe CC apps designing stuff. And I was wandering if it’s a good idea to upload my design project files to the cloud.
Or even better, can I use them, work with them while they are in the cloud?

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
What cloud service are you thinking of using? Most use local storage on your computer in addition to storing solely in the cloud (meaning your files are actually stored on your computer for offline availability). If you're using any cloud service like this, you'll be able to work on your files and then they will sync up to the cloud upon saving. And this is a good idea as part of a backup strategy.

So, in short, go for it.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Can I backup a whole laptop (MacBook) so if something happens to it, I can simply put the whole laptop, back to its original position?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Can I backup a whole laptop (MacBook) so if something happens to it, I can simply put the whole laptop, back to its original position?

Yes, but investigate the services. You want something dummy proof that simply backs up everything. A lot of cloud backups have you choose folders to backup.

I like Backblaze for backup. By default it just backs up everything. Just be aware. This is a backup service only. You'll still need someone else like iCloud for syncing files between devices.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
Yes, but investigate the services. You want something dummy proof that simply backs up everything. A lot of cloud backups have you choose folders to backup.

I like Backblaze for backup. By default it just backs up everything. Just be aware. This is a backup service only. You'll still need someone else like iCloud for syncing files between devices.
+1 for Backblaze. I use it for 2 of my computers. I have it back up the main computer and external hard drives connected to each computer. I still use a local Time Machine backup as it is just simple and works so well. So I have offsite backup and a local time machine backup which will be good for most things.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
+1 for Backblaze. I use it for 2 of my computers. I have it back up the main computer and external hard drives connected to each computer. I still use a local Time Machine backup as it is just simple and works so well. So I have offsite backup and a local time machine backup which will be good for most things.
It’s actually my preferred consumer backup. So far on client computers. It’s been the most reliable.

If they only have one backup. That’s what I’ll setup. Then I’ll setup a local backup. For quick restores. If they’re willing to pay for two backups.

The only time I can convince anyone of a 3-2-1 backup. Is if they lost important data and want something better for the future.

Funny thing is. I don’t personally use it. I’ve got local backups. Then a backup to my server. Which is backed up to hard drives I store in a fire/water resistant safe. Then important files are also on my OneDrive. Plus hard copies of important documents.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I’ve got sensitive data that I don’t want to be spread around. Is Backblaze a reliable service for data?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I’ve got sensitive data that I don’t want to be spread around. Is Backblaze a reliable service for data?

You can create a private encryption key if you want. Then they can't access your data without you providing the key. Of course if you need to retrieve your data and lost your key. You'll never get it back.

So, their data protection is decent. But probably not on the same level as the likes of Amazon Web Services.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.