Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
The Studio Display is a great display but maybe not big enough. Im looking for a bigger display for designing stuff using Illu/Pshop/Indesign/Xd etc.
Maybe a curved display like the LG UltraWide 40WP95C-W, but the curvature kinda worries me... will it work ok for the apps that i will be using to design?
Are curved displays worth it?

Last edited:

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I don't particularly care for curved displays, but it will work the same as any straight display. I just don't care for the visual distortion it gives you.

I went with a 34" LG 34WK95U 5K/2K display and love it. It offers a plethora of resolutions beyond the native 5120x2160 resolution. It's not as bright or as sharp as the Apple Studio Display, but then absolutely no other consumer display available is. The 34" size is quite nice, and the slightly more affordable price tag (compared to the Apple Studio Display) is even better, especially considering it has more connection options and a fully-adjustable stand.

Screenshot 2022-11-03 at 6.04.08 AM.png

pajako

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017
I would hate the distortion when designing on a curved canvas.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Other than that native resolution do the rest become a little blurry

Let me elaborate on this a bit. The built-in Display Settings list the resolutions I have pictured above. They are Apple's "recommended" available resolutions and they all appear clear and sharp. But I also use RDM to quickly switch between ANY resolutions available, including the ability to indicate which ones are HiDPI. There are other apps out there that offer this capability and much more, but RDM is free and I don't want or need the other features.

The ones in the (rather long graphic) list below are what is available for the LG 34WK95U using RDM and the ones with the little lighting bolt are HiDPI resolutions. Those resolutions will appear crisp and clear. The other resolutions are perfectly useable, but not nearly as sharp. Oddly, the native resolution of this Display doesn't show as HiDPI, but it's perfectly clear and sharp.

One caveat is that not all the HiDPI resolutions work on all external displays. On a built in Retina screen this doesn't seem to be an issue, but for external displays it is. For instance, the 3840x2160 resolution doesn't work on the LG34WK95U - which makes sense, because how would you get the native height, but not the full native width without distorting the picture. When I click that resolution, absolutely nothing happens.

Screenshot 2022-11-04 at 3.05.16 AM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.