Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Have had had this one on my desk since the late 80s…

Porsche Design "Jazz"…
Still going strong — hinges are getting a bit creaky — but then so is the owner! :eek: :p

Collection - 4.jpg
Collection - 1 (1).jpg
Collection - 2.jpg
Collection - 3.jpg
Star-Trek-VI-The-Undiscovered-Country-Starfleet-HQ-briefing-room-lamp-2.jpg

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Deefuzz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Mine is one I bought from Ikea years ago. It looks nice but I am liking some of the other stuff I am seeing in this thread as well.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 266

antolex

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2017
One of my favorite lamps is the traditional old Banker lamp. It might be weird now to some, but it's something I've always wanted to have myself.

bankers_desk_lamps.jpg
That lamp looks so classy! I think I saw it in a movie long ago but I don't remember the title.

I am looking to get a new desk lamp for my home office. Can't make up my mind whether to go for a modern look to go with my iMac and Macbook Air setup.. Or something more traditional.

What have you folks gone for? Post your pics here and help me decide ;)

I've used the BenQ eReading lamp for a couple months and love it! It's very tall and bright, is designed to minimize glare on a desktop screen, so it should work for your desk with the iMac/Macbook Air. The design is pretty cool and aesthetically I think it matches well with Apple computers. Only problem is the base could be a little too large. If your desk is not too spacious you might want to opt for a clamp instead of the base.

I don't use an iMac but here's a beautiful pic I found on Amazon of the lamp on a desk with the iMac. The lamp comes in other colors too.

61UHR-bd+rL._SL1600_.jpg

Here are some reviews of the lamp if you need more information
https://www.hookedtobooks.com/best-desk-lamps/ and https://geekdad.com/2016/05/benq-wit-desktop-lamp/

bhtwo

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2012
Oxford UK
My one and only would have to be an anglepoise... that's it.
I don't have room on my desk though.

We had some bankers lights at the pub I work at... with the green shades. Very super.
They all got stolen.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My one and only would have to be an anglepoise... that's it.
I don't have room on my desk though.

We had some bankers lights at the pub I work at... with the green shades. Very super.
They all got stolen.

Very unfortunate and very unpleasant.

Those green-shaded banker's lamps offer a timeless element of elegance to any desk, and I must say that I really like them.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
While I love the classic banker style desk lamp (and have one), my dream desk lamp is the design classic - refined timeless elegance and clean lines - by Louis Poulsen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.