Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Riku7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2014
When I'm expecting a specific e-mail to arrive but don't want to keep the Mail app open, is there a way to set up a desktop notification for it?
The rule in Mail itself only works once you open the app, which makes it quite pointless.
I suspect this to require at least some kind of third party service(s) or application(s).

MC6800

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2016
Keep Mail open but hidden? (or close its viewer window) It doesn't take that much in the way of resources. You can set new-message notifications to VIP only.

Some app has to do the checking for mail. It might as well be Mail.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
The best way probably depends on the email provider and their capabilities...along with how you use the Mac otherwise.

Which provider? Do you use Messages on your Mac in conjunction with an iPhone?

Riku7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2014
Keep Mail open but hidden? (or close its viewer window) It doesn't take that much in the way of resources.

Well, the point is that it takes up valuable space in the dock and reminds me of its existence and the badge of messages in the inbox and the fact that I'm constantly expecting its state to change. If it was completely out of sight, I could focus on other things.
There's a way to turn it into a dockless application but on the long run, I'm not sure if that's very productive: Especially since it doesn't have a menu bar icon, it gets forgotten to the background and is difficult to bring back forward should you need it again.
I know many people enjoy their colorful and well populated dock, but I really need mine to be as clutter-free and relevant as possible.

The best way probably depends on the email provider and their capabilities...along with how you use the Mac otherwise.

Which provider? Do you use Messages on your Mac in conjunction with an iPhone?

Gmail. Yes I use Messages and enjoy its notification style it has on desktop. If it can be used as a relay, that would be great. But I'd rather not have to ever touch the mobile devices themselves (as a regular part of a given workflow), as I find them insufferable to use. I've had to do some disabling on the mobile devices when it comes to iMessage (and by now it's so much of a mess that I can't remember the holistic setup), as it was driving me mad that every time someone sent me a message, I had my computer, my phone and my tablet screaming for attention simultaneously. I prefer desktop all the way.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
If an icon in the dock with a badge is distracting or taking up too much space, then I would suggest the problem is with you, not the OS/app.

That being said, you can completely hide the Mail icon in the Dock even when it's open. Search MacUpdate.com for the free utility to do so (I can't remember the name off-hand).

You can set that particular email address as a VIP, then turn off all notifications except VIPs. There are other ways (using ifttt.com comes to mind).

MC6800

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2016
For your purposes I'd drag Mail off the dock. I would expect that Cmd-Tab access would still be quick enough. You can also shrink the dock to minimum height, and/or turn on dock hiding.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014

Can always setup filters on the Gmail side of things. That is how I've setup my environment. Most emails get sent to some other folder/label via a filter (and possibly marked as "Read"), and only the most important stuff gets to the inbox and alerts.

Riku7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2014
If an icon in the dock with a badge is distracting or taking up too much space, then I would suggest the problem is with you, not the OS/app.
Well that's helpful is it?

There are other ways (using ifttt.com comes to mind).
My first thought was IFTTT too, I browsed the site for a while but I've never actually used any of them before. From what I understand, it doesn't seem to have support with any OS X notification systems, unlike Android. It might be my lack of experience with IFTTT but I didn't see anything that would seem to serve this purpose. And – is it ultimately a mobile app?
I thought of Growl too but while it still exists, it's been a very long time since I've seen any mentions of it or recent applications.
And Bonjour, but I have never used it either so I don't know if it's a system that can be harnessed for this sort of thing. Triggering a push notification to yourself seems like such a simple thought, but it turns out to be surprisingly elusive!
Safari is highly likely to be open, so even getting it triggered via Safari would be acceptable.

For your purposes I'd drag Mail off the dock. I would expect that Cmd-Tab access would still be quick enough. You can also shrink the dock to minimum height, and/or turn on dock hiding.
Hiding unfortunately isn't an option, as I can't have elements blinking on and off...
My dock layout relies on icons that contain text, so they don't take the arbitrary amount of scaling too well.

Okay I tested now, using Dock Dodger. When I turn Mail into a dockless app, then relaunch it, Mail quits unexpectedly. If I try to launch it again, I don't even see its icon briefly flash in the dock as on the first time, it just seems like nothing happens from there on. If I restore its dock icon, its functionality gets restored to normal as well. Not sure why it doesn't work with Mail, Dock Dodger has worked with other apps I've used it for, although they have been third party apps, I think. As I think Mail fails to launch itself as a dockless app at all, that must be the reason why I can't see it in the cmd+tab view.

Can always setup filters on the Gmail side of things. That is how I've setup my environment. Most emails get sent to some other folder/label via a filter (and possibly marked as "Read"), and only the most important stuff gets to the inbox and alerts.
These seem to be all things that work when Mail is open. I tested Mail's rules by checking what it does if you set a filter so you only get a desktop notification if you get mail from a specific address. It's unseen until I launch Mail, but now that's exactly what I do anyway: launch Mail to see if the new unread message that I've been expecting has appeared to the top.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Gmail. Yes I use Messages and enjoy its notification style it has on desktop. If it can be used as a relay, that would be great. But I'd rather not have to ever touch the mobile devices themselves (as a regular part of a given workflow), as I find them insufferable to use. I've had to do some disabling on the mobile devices when it comes to iMessage (and by now it's so much of a mess that I can't remember the holistic setup), as it was driving me mad that every time someone sent me a message, I had my computer, my phone and my tablet screaming for attention simultaneously. I prefer desktop all the way.

Your cellphone SMS likely has an email address…see this web site. You can set up a filter (rule) at Gmail to forward criteria-meeting emails to that SMS email address. If you can get your Messages to properly show notifications on your Mac's desktop this could be a solution.

Riku7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2014
Your cellphone SMS likely has an email address…see this web site. You can set up a filter (rule) at Gmail to forward criteria-meeting emails to that SMS email address. If you can get your Messages to properly show notifications on your Mac's desktop this could be a solution.
Apparently not my carrier (and I'm not in the US). For my carrier it mostly seems like an additional service for businesses and I couldn't find any additional mentions... :/

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Apparently not my carrier (and I'm not in the US). For my carrier it mostly seems like an additional service for businesses and I couldn't find any additional mentions... :/

Well, if you don't have that option you could always set up a second Gmail account, forward the specific emails to that new address, and then use a Gmail notifier (such as Mia) for the new address.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Well that's helpful is it?
It is. But you have to be willing to accept it. You're replying to everyone with excuses and reasons why you can't instead of simply changing the way you prefer to work. You're not an idiot, I'm sure you can overcome the change. Look at the amount of BS you're willing to go through just to avoid doing any number of simple things.

MC6800

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2016
MacGizmo's advice is harsh but true. We see someone asking how to tunnel through solid rock, when there's a path around it 3 paces to the left. Time to reexamine your requirements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.