Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nelson1457

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
I have a desire (need?) for a utility app for my Mac. I’d like an ability to click on an icon (or perhaps a menu bar icon) and have my desktop be different for the various tasks I do.

I’m writing a book? I click on ‘author’ and up comes Pages (or Word) and Safari for research.

I’m playing games? I click on ‘games’ and the book desktop goes away and here comes my games.

I’m surfing the web? Up comes Safari and Mail

I’m doing photographs? Up comes Photos and Photoshop

Has anyone written a utility that does this, or something close?

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Why don't you just use the multiple desktop feature built into macOS for this? It may not be exactly what you're looking for but it's pretty close. Press F3 on your keyboard (Mission Control), then move the mouse pointer all the way up to the top and you'll be able to create new, switch between, or discard no longer used desktops.

Reactions: ignatius345

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Multiple desktops is definitely a great way to go. I use it all the time to keep tasks separated and it keeps me sane.

For writing, I set up an entirely separate user account* with no alerts of any kind, no mail, no messages. It's tied to my same Apple ID, so sharing files is a breeze with iCloud Drive, and once I log into that account it kind of puts me into that "mode" more where I'm not just doing general stuff on the computer.

* system preferences > users & groups

Reactions: cdcastillo

nelson1457

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Yeah, I've got multiple user accounts, but my main one tends to get busy. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.