Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
Yes APFS. I run a MBP with 512GB SSD. IIRC on upgrade APFS it was mandatory for SSD drives.

SSDs were automatically covered but it could be skipped by launching the installer from the command line with a specific parameter. I may try High Sierra on HFS+ later and see if the same problem exists there. If I can find the time

Reactions: notrack

israces

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2017
Same issues as above, using Google Drive File Stream and Box Drive for Mac, on 10.13.2 with APFS.

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
Same issues as above, using Google Drive File Stream and Box Drive for Mac, on 10.13.2 with APFS.

Interesting. I have uninstalled Google backup and sync, but I still have Dropbox installed and active and that causes no issue.

So far Google backup and sync, SugarSync, and now Google drive file stream and Box Drive are reported to cause this issue.

Let's hope Apple will fix this soon as the problem seems to be on their end. I'm assuming all these application are using documented system calls.

shadiradio

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2018
Just wanted to add that Adobe Creative Cloud running also causes this (confirming that it's a cloud sync related issue). I have to quit both Google backup & sync and Creative Cloud for desktop file actions to return to normal.

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
Just wanted to add that Adobe Creative Cloud running also causes this (confirming that it's a cloud sync related issue). I have to quit both Google backup & sync and Creative Cloud for desktop file actions to return to normal.

That is interesting. I have not had this problem with creative cloud. I only have the photography subscription though. Not sure if that makes a difference to what is synced.

kalel5

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2017
So as far as the slow desktop refresh goes, that problem is solved.

I got some really weird issues yesterday, so I decided to clone my drive to a backup, repartition the drive and create a fresh APFS volume, and then clone my system back. After this I did not have the desktop refresh issue, until I set up Google Backup and Sync again... Then it started happening again. I closed Google backup and sync, and problem solved.

The problem with trash on external drives is however not solved. I don't know yet if yesterdays issues are solved, but I got all kinds of weird stuff happening that screamed filesystem corruption. I was going to open a file from my desktop in the file open dialog, and when I clicked desktop I got an error stating that desktop could not be found. I tried to copy a file to the desktop using Path Finder, but got a "Copying (null) to (null)" message and nothing happened. Networked drives could not be reached. They were mounted, but there was nothing in the mount points.

I'm hoping a fresh filesystem will fix this, otherwise I will have to do a fresh install...

So, @Doctoreggman and @tabraiz21 are you using Google backup and sync? If so, try quitting it, wait a minute or so, and see if it's fixed.

OMG! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you! This was driving me nuts on my 2015 iMac!! Quit Google backup and sync, and it FINALLY went away!

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
OMG! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you! This was driving me nuts on my 2015 iMac!! Quit Google backup and sync, and it FINALLY went away!

Glad I could be of help :)

It's a really annoying issue and it wasn't super easy to pinpoint either. It took some thinking and testing to figure it out.

notrack

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
I got support from Sugarsync but they couldn't reproduce it and didn't have a solution. They offered a screen sharing session for investigation but I haven't heard from them since. However, in preparation for that screen sharing, I put all my messy desktop files in one folder and disconnected the external display from my MBP.

For a while things went to normal. After I put back all the files (approx. 80) to the desktop and re-connected the external display, that annoying delay was back.

Maybe anyone wants to try this as well.

SaxDaddy

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2018
SF, CA, USA
Here's a weird one for you.

Ever since updating to High Sierra I have had a problem with my desktop being slow to refresh.

Thank goodness I found this post. This has been driving me crazy since I upgraded to OSX 10.13. I will frequently through the day send terminal output to a desktop file or screenshot to the desktop. I just now clocked touching a file to the desktop at 92 seconds. And this is after killing Google Drive sync and Dropbox sync. What's funny is that even after killing these apps, I do still find the follow "sync" processes running.

Code:
$ ps -ef|head -1;ps -ef|grep Sync
     UID   PID  PPID   C   STIME     TTY    TIME    CMD
saxdaddy 13564     1   0  5:39PM ??         0:00.07 /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/Versions/A/Resources/KeychainSyncingOverIDSProxy.bundle/Contents/MacOS/KeychainSyncingOverIDSProxy
saxdaddy 18648     1   0 10:04PM ??         0:00.03 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CommunicationsFilter.framework/CMFSyncAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/CMFSyncAgent
saxdaddy 24765   514   0 11:13PM ttys006    0:00.00 grep Sync

FWIW, I'm running an MBPr 15, Late 2013 with a single 256GB APFS volume with OSX 10.13.2 (fully patched). I'm syncing files to Apple, Dropbox (personal) and Google (work). I'm also running Sophos Home v9.6.6

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
Thank goodness I found this post. This has been driving me crazy since I upgraded to OSX 10.13. I will frequently through the day send terminal output to a desktop file or screenshot to the desktop. I just now clocked touching a file to the desktop at 92 seconds. And this is after killing Google Drive sync and Dropbox sync. What's funny is that even after killing these apps, I do still find the follow "sync" processes running.

Code:
$ ps -ef|head -1;ps -ef|grep Sync
     UID   PID  PPID   C   STIME     TTY    TIME    CMD
saxdaddy 13564     1   0  5:39PM ??         0:00.07 /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/Versions/A/Resources/KeychainSyncingOverIDSProxy.bundle/Contents/MacOS/KeychainSyncingOverIDSProxy
saxdaddy 18648     1   0 10:04PM ??         0:00.03 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CommunicationsFilter.framework/CMFSyncAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/CMFSyncAgent
saxdaddy 24765   514   0 11:13PM ttys006    0:00.00 grep Sync

FWIW, I'm running an MBPr 15, Late 2013 with a single 256GB APFS volume with OSX 10.13.2 (fully patched). I'm syncing files to Apple, Dropbox (personal) and Google (work). I'm also running Sophos Home v9.6.6

So you still have the issue? Does quitting sophos make any difference?

mcgroarty

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
I have Adobe Creative Cloud, DropBox, OneDrive, OmniPresence, iCloud, and Google Backup and Sync. I have the same problem on a 2014 27" Retina iMac with High Sierra and APFS. Quitting Google Backup and Sync clears the problem instantly. The other programs with sync functionality don't seem to trigger the problem.

Interestingly, a mid-2014 15" MacBook Pro running High Sierra with APFS does not have the problem. The exact same software is running, including Google Backup and Sync.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Thank you all for figuring this out. This problem has been driving me nuts. I just renamed a folder on my desktop and it took 15 seconds to show the new name. Just sent this feedback to Google.

----------
Just noticed that I was having incredibly long desktop refresh times (items don't reflect changes or new files don't show up for up to 60 seconds.) Searching around online and I see that it's being caused by your Backup and Sync software. So, I try quitting your software, problem goes away. I start your software back up, problem is back.

Why on earth would you be doing anything that affects the refresh time on my desktop??? I'm syncing my Google drive folder. That's the only place your software should be looking. Given the nature of your company and its reputation for collecting user's personal info, it makes me concerned that you're screwing around with files on my machine that you shouldn't be touching for reasons I didn't approve of. Will be shutting down your software and removing it permanently after sending this feedback.

Do better next time.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
"Backup and Sync from Google", like all the other third-party syncing apps, don't have to run 24/7. Change a file, run the app, let the app sync, quit the app.

Not a bad idea, but frankly, I've long since learned not to trust Google's software. Their web-based stuff is phenomenal but their desktop software is garbage. I have no idea why I thought it was a good idea to put that on my machine. I'll just manually synch files as needed via their Google Drive web interface from now on. Can't trust Google enough to let this stand.

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
Not a bad idea, but frankly, I've long since learned not to trust Google's software. Their web-based stuff is phenomenal but their desktop software is garbage. I have no idea why I thought it was a good idea to put that on my machine. I'll just manually synch files as needed via their Google Drive web interface from now on. Can't trust Google enough to let this stand.

My workaround is that I run Cloud Sync on my Synology NAS, then I just connect to my NAS through Finder/Path Finder to access the files. Works fine, but can't open gdocs files using Alfred which is a bit of a shame.

nicjsmith

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2010
Add Mountain Duck to the list of third-party apps that cause this problem. Come on Apple, get this obvious bug sorted!

Last edited:

masc88

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2009
I can confirm this is caused by google's `Backup & Sync` on high sierra. Quitting the app makes the issue disappear instantly.

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
I find it amazing that this has not yet been fixed. It's a big issue affecting many if not all users with High Sierra using Backup & Sync as well as other software.

SimoBG

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2017
Great! Then we know whats been causing this! I have send feedback to Google through the backup and sync app, and I suggest you do the same. If they get multiple reports on this they may fix it soon. I made sure to include OS version and a thorough description about the problem.

Thank you SO MUCH for this. It was driving me NUTS!!!

Matt_9141

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2018
So as far as the slow desktop refresh goes, that problem is solved.

I got some really weird issues yesterday, so I decided to clone my drive to a backup, repartition the drive and create a fresh APFS volume, and then clone my system back. After this I did not have the desktop refresh issue, until I set up Google Backup and Sync again... Then it started happening again. I closed Google backup and sync, and problem solved.

The problem with trash on external drives is however not solved. I don't know yet if yesterdays issues are solved, but I got all kinds of weird stuff happening that screamed filesystem corruption. I was going to open a file from my desktop in the file open dialog, and when I clicked desktop I got an error stating that desktop could not be found. I tried to copy a file to the desktop using Path Finder, but got a "Copying (null) to (null)" message and nothing happened. Networked drives could not be reached. They were mounted, but there was nothing in the mount points.

I'm hoping a fresh filesystem will fix this, otherwise I will have to do a fresh install...

So, @Doctoreggman and @tabraiz21 are you using Google backup and sync? If so, try quitting it, wait a minute or so, and see if it's fixed.

Oh yeah just realized I had Backup and Sync on too! I like my MacBook Pro, and I can't believe that it would suddenly slow down like that! Screw the backup and sync crap lol. Uninstalling those things rn. btw MacBook Pro w/ Retina 2014 15inch 2.5Ghz 2 GB GT 750M :)
[doublepost=1519490485][/doublepost]
Oh yeah just realized I had Backup and Sync on too! I like my MacBook Pro, and I can't believe that it would suddenly slow down like that! Screw the backup and sync crap lol. Uninstalling those things rn. btw MacBook Pro w/ Retina 2014 15inch 2.5Ghz 2 GB GT 750M :)

Just took a test screen shot - it appears instantly on the screen now. Thx all

hardest

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2018
I had this problem for months, then I solved simply logging out from iCloud and restarting the system.

thagomizer

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2005
USA
I have the same problem. MacOS 10.13 with AFPS on a MacBook Pro with touchbar.

Saving files to the desktop, it can take over 10 seconds for the files to show up. Sometimes, a temporary file with an odd name will show up, and then the final file will show up a few seconds later.

But the problem is not restricted to the desktop. If I copy a bunch of files from one folder to another, it will take a long time to update the display in the destination folder. The length of time seems proportional to the number of files that are copied. If I copy 50 files, it will take 5 seconds or so for the folder to update and show all the files. It shows the spinning cursor in the meantime.

I don't have Google Sync or Box or DropBox or any other syncing program. It's plain vanilla MacOS, no funny filesystem stuff installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.