Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2016
Hi.

i am potentially wanting to upgrade my existing build which is the following:

• Asus X99-S Intel X99 (Socket 2011) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
  • i7 5820k oc at 4ghz
  • 64gb ddr4 ram Corsair Vengeance PC4-21300C16 2666MHz
  • 2080 ti gpu
  • Corsair hydro H1100 280mm liquid cpu cooler(can i reuse this?)
  • Corsair 850w gold standard modular PSU

All of the above has served me well and bought back in 2015 and debating if i can upgrade mainly the mobo and cpu from above to something like a threadripper setup.

Here are my usecases for my system:

• Software developing on it via kotlin/java/python
  • Editing raw images taken from 24mp or 42mp files using lightroom and photoshop
  • Playing video games at 4k resolution
  • copying/streaming files between my other systems in my network(using 10gbnit ethernet)

From the above components i have already, could i just grab a 3960x and a good mobo that has stuff like thunderbolt 3, 10gbit ethernet, at least 2 nvme slots and still be powered by my current psu?

What about my cooler above? The cooler does not have a mount for these new AMD cpu's. Would i need another cooler?

i want around the exact same one as i have my 280mm rad on the current cooler fitted nicely inside my case and dont want a massive cpu cooler slapped on top of my cpu.

Budget is ideally 2k

Thanks

Cancelled
Jun 16, 2020
I've been through a similar experience recently. Assuming that PSU is fairly new (ish?), 850W is plenty. A 2080 GPU will also be fine for games at 4k, and that is a tonne of RAM.

So yeah - just replace the mobo and CPU and you're good to go. That liquid cool is an AIO, so you can just reuse it - I would assume you can get a bracket to fit the CPU/mobo as a third-party extra? I haven't looked. You will also need to clean the heatsink/pad (the contact surface between the cooler and CPU) and reapply thermal paste.

But if it makes life easier, just get a new AIO cooler too. They're not that expensive.

jmike24

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2020
My ASUS k555na has dead automatically. And technician did run it . So I do not trust this company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.