Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Hey guys,

I desperately need some help.

I just installed the latest update to my iPad Mini which was iOS 12.4.8.

However, just as it said "Verifying Update" I pressed the "Home Button" at the bottom of the iPad Mini multiple times because I wanted to close the Apps that were running in the background so the iPad Mini didn't have any unnecessary Apps running in the background to slow it down. Even after pressing the "Home Button" multiple times nothing happened and it just continued with "Verifying Update" on the screen and then it rebooted by itself with the Apple logo in the middle of the screen surrounded by a pure white background.

Did I do any software damage to the iPad Mini? I'm just worried that I interrupted the update to iOS 12.4.8 and damaged my iPad Mini...

I really need someone to calm me down. ???

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If you are able to use your iPad like normal, you should be fine. If you go to settings > general > software update > it should show 12.4.8 and say your iOS device is up to date. If it does, you are fine. In the future, wait for the update to completely finish before trying to do anything else.

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
I see, thanks.

The reason I'm so worried about this is because I know that when an iPad is getting a software update it's a delicate process so I was worried I interrupted the delicate process and did damage to my iPad.

DaPhox

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2019
I think something horrible is about to happen. Exactly how many times did you press the home button? Try to remember, it can be vital information.

• Sad
Reactions: hwojtek and Jxdawg

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hey guys,

I desperately need some help.

I just installed the latest update to my iPad Mini which was iOS 12.4.8.

However, just as it said "Verifying Update" I pressed the "Home Button" at the bottom of the iPad Mini multiple times because I wanted to close the Apps that were running in the background so the iPad Mini didn't have any unnecessary Apps running in the background to slow it down. Even after pressing the "Home Button" multiple times nothing happened and it just continued with "Verifying Update" on the screen and then it rebooted by itself with the Apple logo in the middle of the screen surrounded by a pure white background.

Did I do any software damage to the iPad Mini? I'm just worried that I interrupted the update to iOS 12.4.8 and damaged my iPad Mini...

I really need someone to calm me down. ???
When an update is being verified there's not much you can do at that time (short of turning the screen off or something like that), so pressing the home button wouldn't really do anything. Sounds like you were just installing an update and that's the process it was going through. Hopefully the update has been installed at this point and things are back to normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.