Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Detected

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2023
My old iMac hard disk died and I got a new one installed.
My iMac now works, but I can't seem to restore from the backup file I have on an external drive.
It's not formatted as a Time Machine disk, but is an external drive with other files AND this backup file.

How can I access that file or restore from that backup?
I lost SO much work I really need this backup!

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Have you reinstalled macOS? That's the first thing I'd do, and then connect the drive and/or search for the files in question. It shouldn't be super complicated, so long as the system/program that you used to back up isn't complicated.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
This post will not help you THIS time.
But it WILL help you for "next time".

If you want backup THAT WORKS when you have "a moment of extreme need", in the future use either SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner.

I will be so bold as to claim that if you had a cloned backup created by either of the above two apps, you'd be "back up and running" already...

Reactions: arefbe and Detected

Detected

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2023
Have you reinstalled macOS? That's the first thing I'd do, and then connect the drive and/or search for the files in question. It shouldn't be super complicated, so long as the system/program that you used to back up isn't complicated.
So there is no way I can restore my mac from a ‘inProgress’ file?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.