Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyeon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
Montana, USA
Where to begin? I am a graduating senior at the University here, and am very frightened I will not graduate because of one very small and stupid reason. Basically, I am currently enrolled in a Java programming class that is much harder than I anticipated. I am taking the class in order to fulfill my foreign language requirement, as the combination of a Visual Basic class and a Java class count as a “symbolic system” and fulfill that requirement. I have tried many different classes under the symbolic systems classification, and none of them have worked out. My final decision was to try the programming classes and see how I fared in those. I took the VB class in the summer, and so could focus on it and stay on top of it as I was involved with it 5 days a week. As it was a summer course, I had a close relationship with my professor and a small class, and so could get one-on-one help whenever I needed. I got through it with a passing grade, which gave me confidence about the next class; Java. Now, I am enrolled in Java and it is a completely different story.

Okay, let me back up here... I am a fine arts major, media arts minor. I have been going to school here for six solid years, and am planning to graduate in May. One of the legalities at this school is that every student is governed by the catalogue of the semester upon their entry for six years following their date of entry. For example, I started in Autumn 1999, and so I am governed by the Autumn 1999 catalog. This spring semester 2005 marks the end of my sixth collegiate year. If I were to continue school here any longer, the Autumn 1999 catalog would become void and I would thus far be governed by the 2005 catalog. This is a big problem.

To explain: Beginning in Spring semester 2000, the School of Fine Arts implemented a deal in which you have to apply to the Fine Arts program. The staff reviews you and your work and your statement and such, and either accepts or declines your request. There is a corresponding class that all students are required to take in conjunction with the review. Since I am governed by the 1999 catalog, I am exempt from having to go through the BFA review and its class. However, if I were to NOT graduate this May, my current 1999 catalog would become void and I would be forced to follow through with the BFA review and it’s class, and any other requirements (art-related or non) that may be outlined in the 2005 catalog, since I would then be governed by the new catalog. This would mean that I would need to be at school for at least another full year, as they only do BFA reviews during Spring semester.

This, in turn, would severely affect my future plans, as I would need to stay for another year to finish school. I am already signed up with an overseas program that encourages newly graduated seniors to travel and utilize their recently acquired skills abroad. I am already set up with a Job and a place to live in the UK, beginning in September. If I were to not graduate, I would have to somehow cancel that entire deal, which I’ve already paid for. I would let down my family. I would have to find another place to live, as my house is already rented out to someone else who is moving here in September when I plan to leave. The list goes on and on.

To top it all off, I don’t know if I am able to afford another year of school, and am especially unwilling to pay for another year that is completely unnecessary and could potentially be avoided. Basically, it would completely rewire my entire future, in a very bad way.

It all comes down to this one class. All I need is a passing grade. I’d be ecstatic over a D. A 60%. That’s literally all I need. And I’m terrified that I’m headed for an F right now. The trouble is, with Java, you either get it or your don’t. It’s a pass or fail deal. Black or white. And I REALLY don’t get it.

This may be a long shot, but I am desperate for help. If you are a decent Java programmer, and maybe think you could help me out, I would be eternally grateful. At this point, I would even be willing to pay you for your services. I’d probably have to email you my homework/questions, and we’d communicate that way.

If you are interested, you can email me ? illpig@yahoo.com ? or respond in this thread.

Thank you so much for your help…

I forgot to mention that this is an entry-level class and would probably be pretty simple for someone with even limited Java experience. *crossing my fingers that someone will help*

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I don't want to sound like I'm trying to lecture you but do you think that paying someone to do your work is a good idea? The reason that you have to learn a "foreign" language is probably to ensure you have a rounded education. If your college find out about this I would imagine they would throw you out straight away, my University certainly would have.

If you were to post your attempts to do the tasks set here I'm sure that there are a number of people here (myself included, I am a professional programmer who uses Java amongst other languages) who could provide you with pointers and suggestions to enable you to do the tasks and learn at the same time.

As you say the tasks are probably very simple and Java itself is a very easy language to use. I'm sure with a little push in the right direction you can get your head around it. Or you could just learn French?

oldpismo

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
UK
I agree with Robbie, I would be willing to give you a push in the right direction, but doing your homework for you I would suggest is not a good idea. If you hand in a program that has been written by an experienced developer any lecturer/teacher worth their salt should be able to spot it.

NtotheIzoo

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2005
oldpismo said:
I agree with Robbie, I would be willing to give you a push in the right direction, but doing your homework for you I would suggest is not a good idea. If you hand in a program that has been written by an experienced developer any lecturer/teacher worth their salt should be able to spot it.

I agree w/ both of you that have posted above...As a computer science major, who is not using their degree what-so-ever, you will be able to find plenty of help, just post your problem/question and plenty of people will be able to point you in the right direction...

txringer234

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2005
hey im a high school student learning java at school, and we've learned some pretty basic java on windows, but i wanted to program on my mac at home, which uses xcode when i build and go, it gives me this error

-[NSJavaVirtualMachine initWithClassPath:] cannot instantiate a Java virtual machine

any help?

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
If you've already dabbled in visual basic and been alright with that, this Java class shouldn't be <i> too </i> bad. Instead of asking for a tutor so to speak on Macrumors, I'm sure there are plenty of people at the college that could help you throughout the semester so that you could for sure pass with at least a D. Although, if you're that worried about this, can you take another foreign language? I mean, I'm sure Spanish 101 wouldn't be freaking you out as much. If the college will accept a combination of the VB class and a spoken language, that might be better and not kill your GPA either.

And I can also say that definitely they will spot it if someone is just doing your work for you. I'm a TA for the CS department at my school, it's pretty easy to tell. Especially if you do real well on programming projects and fail exams.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
eyeon said:
Where to begin?

<big snip>

This may be a long shot, but I am desperate for help. If you are a decent Java programmer, and maybe think you could help me out, I would be eternally grateful. At this point, I would even be willing to pay you for your services. I’d probably have to email you my homework/questions, and we’d communicate that way.

If you are interested, you can email me ? illpig@yahoo.com ? or respond in this thread.

Thank you so much for your help…

I forgot to mention that this is an entry-level class and would probably be pretty simple for someone with even limited Java experience. *crossing my fingers that someone will help*
Why not get help at the college you are at?

I am sure that there are CS majors that would be more than willing to help, especially if you are willing to pay. That way you get face to face help.

Also, most colleges have some sort of tutor program to help folks in need. You might want to check in to that as well.

BTW, most instructors I know will go out of their way to help you if you just ask. The key is to ask for help early so they have time to help you.

Sushi

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
sushi said:
Why not get help at the college you are at?

I am sure that there are CS majors that would be more than willing to help, especially if you are willing to pay. That way you get face to face help.

Also, most colleges have some sort of tutor program to help folks in need. You might want to check in to that as well.

BTW, most instructors I know will go out of their way to help you if you just ask. The key is to ask for help early so they have time to help you.

Sushi
All very good points. I know if I happened to choose any three routes at school that I would find help very quickly. Although I've also used MR for help in the past and I've found them to be very helpful. Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.