Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

obecalps

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2023
Can someone, who steals a piece of your luggage or your purse, both with AirTags inside them, detect the presence of an AirTag inside these stolen items? And, thus, just remove the AirTag, discard it and you are out of luck. Do they have the ability to detect somehow the presence of an AirTag with their iPhone or an RF detector?

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I'm not aware of a way to scan for nearby AirTags, but it will start beeping and they'll get a notification on their phone that an AirTag is following them. Android has started doing the same thing as well.

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
Can someone, who steals a piece of your luggage or your purse, both with AirTags inside them, detect the presence of an AirTag inside these stolen items? And, thus, just remove the AirTag, discard it and you are out of luck. Do they have the ability to detect somehow the presence of an AirTag with their iPhone or an RF detector?
Yes to all of your questions.

One thing you can do is disable the speaker.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Yup, only you can remove speaker.
As always I suggest this guy, used this method 2 times already - zero problems if followed his steps and used good tool.

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
Yup, only you can remove speaker.
As always I suggest this guy, used this method 2 times already - zero problems if followed his steps and used good tool.

even easier on third party findmy location finders. however, those dont have the precision finding capabilities of UWB chip in the airtags... so without the speaker they may be harder to find!

Reactions: addamas

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
Even with the speaker disabled it will still give a notification on their phone. Remember they are not designed as a stolen item location device.
That is correct, I didn't see anyone dispute that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.