Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
Yep. Between grunts and complains about Metal (;)), the coding geniuses at Feral probably worked wonders. If the game runs well, it will be a proof of Feral's excellence and that the API is mature enough for the most demanding titles.

Reactions: tomvos

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Obduction is another metal game to look out for. Had to play it in Windows because the Mac version is in beta, but it's a great game.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
As was the case with Human Revolution, the Mac version of Mankind Divided will probably be the definitive one to get since I expect Feral to fix a lot of the problems that have plagued the Windows version.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
As was the case with Human Revolution, the Mac version of Mankind Divided will probably be the definitive one to get since I expect Feral to fix a lot of the problems that have plagued the Windows version.

The Windows version is pretty good, actually. But Feral might include a DLC like they did for HR.

Personally I wouldn't want to play the game on OS X because it's such a demanding game. Don't want a performance hit.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
The Windows version is pretty good, actually. But Feral might include a DLC like they did for HR.

Personally I wouldn't want to play the game on OS X because it's such a demanding game. Don't want a performance hit.

Aside from the poor performance on NVIDIA GPUs and constant, game breaking crashes (that took more than 2 weeks to sort), the Windows port is amazing!

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Aside from the poor performance on NVIDIA GPUs and constant, game breaking crashes (that took more than 2 weeks to sort), the Windows port is amazing!

No issues here on my GTX 970, though I didn't play the game right away--about a week and a half after launch.

The only disappointment was DX 12 made performance worse for me, and I had to stick to DX 11.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
I wonder what the main source for the Metal port is: XBOX, PS 4, Windows (DX11 or DX12?)...?
I've read that Metal was closer to DX11, even though it is supposed to have lower overhead. It's much simpler (and has fewer features) than Vulkan, DX12 and console APIs.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
No issues here on my GTX 970, though I didn't play the game right away--about a week and a half after launch.

The only disappointment was DX 12 made performance worse for me, and I had to stick to DX 11.

I didn't have any problems with the release build or the first patch. Every subsequent update until the latest one would crash to the desktop whenever I tried to enter Jensen's apartment complex to continue story mission M14. I tried different drivers, re-loading older saves, even a clean Windows reinstall - basically anything but starting the game over again because I was 25 hours in at that point, but nothing worked.

The last update finally fixed this issue, as well as improved DX12 performance on my GTX 980M when used with the 372.90 NVIDIA drivers.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
I tried different drivers, re-loading older saves, even a clean Windows reinstall - basically anything but starting the game over again because I was 25 hours in at that point, but nothing worked.

OMG. Memories of the nightmare that is the wonderfully awful world of the Windows user.

Reactions: ikir

Ainze

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
Hey, better than gaming on the Mac! :p

Nope! I've had so many low-level system problems on Windows (at least a two or three each year). I'm having crazy kernel crashes atm, with no end in sight (drivers, updates, the whole list from above). It's throwing my DX and AC gaming out the window.

I'll gladly take the 10fps hit for the underlying reliability.

(Edit: To be clear, I'm not happy about the fps drop. OpenGL really should get more attention. I'm just saying it's preferable to using Windows)

Reactions: Irishman

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Can't wait for it! Human Revolution has been one of my favorite game ever.

Can't wait to play it on my Mac, maybe with my eGPU
[doublepost=1475013701][/doublepost]
Honestly, Cougarcat, why do you bother posting on here? I've never come across anyone that is so consistently negative about gaming on Mac.
Myself and many others love gaming on the Mac, so please, give it a rest. We've heard it many many times now.
Probably he is just a troll

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Wow guys, chill out. I'm not sure why you think I am being a troll.

I love gaming on the Mac. I game there as much as I can. But if I want the best performance for demanding titles, I stick to Windows. Luckily, this does not mean as much as it used to, as I play smaller indie games more these days anyway. Right now, I'm happily enjoying Talos Principle and Pillars of Eternity, and they're great. I'm looking forward to trying out DoW II (had it for Windows for ages, could never be bothered to restart to play it) this weekend.

My comments about Metal are just realistic. Metal is not going to magically make the Mac performance hit go away. If you think it will, prepare for disappointment. If it weren't for Metal, we probably wouldn't be getting Deus Ex at all. And it's still behind in needed features. It is possible to love Mac gaming while criticizing it and Apple.

Perhaps my mistake was posting like I was on Inside Mac Games. We're a jaded bunch when it comes to Apple over there. ;) Also, sarcasm doesn't read well on the internet. I hate on it because I love it.

Last edited:
Reactions: lewdvig

Fosty

Suspended
Sep 19, 2016
The question is what macs would even be able to play it given the need for a min 2gb video card?

I'm happily enjoying...Pillars of Eternity,

I have it but still haven't gotten around to it - something about the overhead perspective has always put me off. I was very impressed with Guacamelee! not too long ago.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
My comments about Metal are just realistic. Metal is not going to magically make the Mac performance hit go away. If you think it will, prepare for disappointment. If it weren't for Metal, we probably wouldn't be getting Deus Ex at all. And it's still behind in needed features. It is possible to love Mac gaming while criticizing it and Apple.
If I understand this correctly, currently the performance gap from 20% hit came down to just 5% difference between Windows 10, and macOS on the same hardware(World of Warcraft: Legion). That may be prime example that gaming on Mac is not lost, yet.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
If I understand this correctly, currently the performance gap from 20% hit came down to just 5% difference between Windows 10, and macOS on the same hardware(World of Warcraft: Legion). That may be prime example that gaming on Mac is not lost, yet.

While promising, WoW is also not as complex graphically as Deus Ex, so I would caution reading too much into this.

One thing to keep in mind is that we're in a transitional phase: new consoles, new APIs. Macs will get better over time as their specs and software improve (if Apple is serious about Metal.) Console games will be largely staying the same requirements-wise, for a while. Well, as long as the console makers require games to run on the weaker system...

So, yes, it can only get better.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
If Apple wants to waste its time and money with Metal, fine. For the rest, bring Vulkan.

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
While promising, WoW is also not as complex graphically as Deus Ex, so I would caution reading too much into this.
Not on the GPU - but it is one of the most taxing on the graphics API and per-thread performance.

Zones like Suramar put incredible stress on the systems ability to process draw calls; and thats exactly what Metal/DX12/Vulcan were designed to handle more efficiently.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.