Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RichardCarletta

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2003
Utica, NY
Isn't it time for Apple to officially abandon OSX ?

The G5 is a 64 bit computer , right ? Shouldn't Apple be writing a 64 bit operating system for the G5s ? It's time for Apple to work on and release Mac OS 11 . It could be a 64 bit version of OS X but optimized for the G5 . Apple does not need a better OS X . In one year , the PowerMac , iMac . and Powerbook should be G5 . Why would we need another OS X update for ? 10.3.3 should be the absolute last update for the G3 , G4 , and G5 .

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
Re: Isn't it time for Apple to officially abandon OSX ?

Originally posted by RichardCarletta
The G5 is a 64 bit computer , right ? Shouldn't Apple be writing a 64 bit operating system for the G5s ? It's time for Apple to work on and release Mac OS 11 . It could be a 64 bit version of OS X but optimized for the G5 . Apple does not need a better OS X . In one year , the PowerMac , iMac . and Powerbook should be G5 . Why would we need another OS X update for ? 10.3.3 should be the absolute last update for the G3 , G4 , and G5 .

Why do you assume they ARE not working on a G5 optimized version? How long was OS 9 supported while OS X was being developed/newly introduced? I'd bet OS XI and OS XII are all in various stages from a flow chart in a RnD room to actual code testing ideas/potential....

barbaloot

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Well if you look at the 20inch display compared to the 17inch and 23 inch. The system requirements are much higher. You need 10.2. The 17" and 23" can be used all the way down to 9.2.2.

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
Re: Re: Actually...

Originally posted by MongoTheGeek
Can't be any worse than what comes out of Redmond on a daily basis.

Well, there's a difference: 7F24 dooms the world if you install it on a 20-inch iMac in Sunnydale, California; Windows dooms the world every time someone presses CTRL-ALT-DEL.

fabsgwu

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Washington, DC
I think its kind of a funny warning, even without commentary from the MacRumors gallery of experts. I think the 17 and 20 may have some hidden differences (i.e. maybe it has to do with the graphics set or something like that). A side note, have you seen how thick the 20" imac display is? its way more chunky than the 17"

tomdavies

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2003
Sydney, Oz
Re: Re: Actually...

Originally posted by MongoTheGeek
Can't be any worse than what comes out of Redmond on a daily basis.

Apparently MS is set to hire Wolfram & Hart to handle any further antitrust problems.

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Originally posted by fabsgwu
I think its kind of a funny warning, even without commentary from the MacRumors gallery of experts. I think the 17 and 20 may have some hidden differences (i.e. maybe it has to do with the graphics set or something like that). A side note, have you seen how thick the 20" imac display is? its way more chunky than the 17"

Amen, brother :)

Apple routinely use external physical differences to discern between different models and revisions.

For example OS X (without jumping through hoops) supports 'any Mac with on-board USB ports'. It's not actually the presence of those ports that are required -- it's just that the first machines with those ports have the lowest overall spec that Apple officially support OS X on.

Anyway, isn't this kind of thing what restricted seed programmes are about? Get your code out onto representative hardware, owned by people who're savvy enough to understand how testing is done, identify issues and fix 'em.

barbaloot

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Originally posted by displaced
Amen, brother :)

Apple routinely use external physical differences to discern between different models and revisions.

For example OS X (without jumping through hoops) supports 'any Mac with on-board USB ports'. It's not actually the presence of those ports that are required -- it's just that the first machines with those ports have the lowest overall spec that Apple officially support OS X on.

Anyway, isn't this kind of thing what restricted seed programmes are about? Get your code out onto representative hardware, owned by people who're savvy enough to understand how testing is done, identify issues and fix 'em.

I have a Wallstreet Powerbook, it's upgraded to a 500MHz G3. Which is well within the specs of Panther. But still it won't even install. It has more to do with the Boot Rom then anything. Once they moved to built-in USB ports they also starting using New World Boot Rom. But most poeple know if they have USB ports not what Boot Rom they have.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
The 10.3.3 Strangelet Connection.

Originally posted by awulf
Ah, damn... So that's why my socks have been going.

10.3.3 probably caused some sort of hardware failure to be pulled as a seed. I wonder how many Macs are harmed during the making of Mac OS X.

*shakes head* You guys have it all wrong. See 10.3.3 actually converts the bits on your hard drive into strangelets. The strangelets eat normal matter and convert it into more strangelets. It's an Apple doomsday weapon that wasn't meant to get out of the lab. Little did you guys know it wasn't a port of OS X to the X86 instruction set that they've been working on. If Apple goes down they are taking the world with them! MWAHAHAHAHAH.

pianojoe

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2001
N 49.50121 E008.54558
Re: Actually...

if 7F24 was installed on a 20-inch iMac in this small town, an ancient prophecy would be fulfilled and a portal known as the "Hellmouth" would open, swallowing the town and unleashing ten thousand years of unmitigated evil upon humanity. [/B]

Some people claim that this has already happened.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by barbaloot
Well if you look at the 20inch display compared to the 17inch and 23 inch. The system requirements are much higher. You need 10.2. The 17" and 23" can be used all the way down to 9.2.2.

You also need the correct hardware. I found out the hard way that my G4 Dual 450 Graphite will not run the 20" or 23", unless I purchased a new card.

I also would like to see Apple have new 64 bit Mac OS. The G5 should have an OS that takes advantage of its power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.