Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bslindgreen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Hi

I'm thinking of installing the Developer Preview of Yosemite but i wan't to hear from others who has it if it has a lot of bugs. I know that it's in beta and therefor i know it won't be bug free, however my question is will my overall experience be affected by the fact that it's in beta or what?

bslindgreen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
I'm not developing mac apps but i develop iOS apps. It would be more to test the new functions and design rather than bug tracking.

stiligFox

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2009
Hi

I'm thinking of installing the Developer Preview of Yosemite but i wan't to hear from others who has it if it has a lot of bugs. I know that it's in beta and therefor i know it won't be bug free, however my question is will my overall experience be affected by the fact that it's in beta or what?

I installed it as well to check things out and I gotta say wait, unless you need to use Xcode 6 beta. Installing it on a separate partition would be a good idea. I set up a 20GB partition.

YMMV, but I get graphical lags, safari crashes, etc. I would hate to in the middle of coding something and then have it crash on me!

c1phr

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
I installed it as well to check things out and I gotta say wait, unless you need to use Xcode 6 beta. Installing it on a separate partition would be a good idea. I set up a 20GB partition.

YMMV, but I get graphical lags, safari crashes, etc. I would hate to in the middle of coding something and then have it crash on me!

I have had a really stable system overall, but I've crashed Xcode 6 3 times in an hour before doing iOS work. Interface Builder was the culprit, so I'm thinking that just working on the backend of an application might be a little less risky.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Hi

IMHO, your experience WILL be affected by the fact it is beta. There are many bugs, don't expect all features to even work properly, don't update over your current OS if you have any data you want preserved.
10.10 doesn't play well right now with older apps or with syncing data but it is to be expected, once the public beta hits, it may be much more stable but the developer preview is usually intended for those that understand that you most likely will experience problems and how to fix them, if not then you know where to go to get the information to fix it. Dev forums usually.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I'm not developing mac apps but i develop iOS apps. It would be more to test the new functions and design rather than bug tracking.

Oh I see. Well it definitely has bugs (based on multiple responses here). Do yourself a huge favor and create a separate partition, install Mavericks, then upgrade to Yosemite, unless there's a way to create a bootable USB drive for Yosemite as I'm sure there will be. Do not upgrade your current system especially if you're using it for critical work that you cannot afford to lose or mess up.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
unless there's a way to create a bootable USB drive for Yosemite as I'm sure there will be.

Yes. I'm sure there will be too. You can do it this way:

Use an 8GB+ USB stick and format it with GUID partition mapping and a partition named Untitled, then run the following 5 commands in terminal:

sudo hdiutil attach /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ 10.10\ Developer\ Preview.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg

sudo asr restore -source /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg -target /Volumes/Untitled -erase -format HFS+

sudo rm /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages

sudo cp -a /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages

sudo cp -a /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.