Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfreed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
New York
Is there a history of new betas running slower as they are released. In other words, could the next beta run slower/take up more resources? I think I'll wait on it a couple of days, when it's released. This beta has pretty much revived my mid-2010 Macbook Pro, and I'd be discouraged if Beta 2 slowed it down!

scrmtrey

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2013
Is there a history of new betas running slower as they are released. In other words, could the next beta run slower/take up more resources? I think I'll wait on it a couple of days, when it's released. This beta has pretty much revived my mid-2010 Macbook Pro, and I'd be discouraged if Beta 2 slowed it down!

It should be even better and better with every new update, release of beta's, till the final GM.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
It's possible, but unlikely. Beta 2 should be an improvement.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007

From my experience in the last decade, almost all betas stabilized over time, and they rarely improve performance in a big way, after all we're talking about 2-3 months for a complex OS update. I do recall during one time in iOS 8 or 7, beta 2 or 3 changed the animation timer for the worse and it felt slower. The system wasn't slower, just the animations were longer.

Apple did cut the animation timers for El Cap but the question is, can they lengthen it over time? Certainly.

I dislike animations, they're great for feedback and new things but over time, you just don't need it anymore, they just become pointless over time. I wish Apple would reduce it more on both iOS and OS X or gives us the option to kill it completely.

Last edited:

jfreed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
New York
Good to know. I think part of my speed improvements are from having a clean install, but I'm so satisfied right now and I'd be bummed if it was a step backwards.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Good to know. I think part of my speed improvements are from having a clean install, but I'm so satisfied right now and I'd be bummed if it was a step backwards.

Apple made performance a huge marketing point of El Cap during the Keynote, so I seriously doubt it would regress over the betas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.