Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jebbe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Louisville, KY
This is strictly from someone who's using iOS 7 and am not a developer(keep your comments about that to yourself, I personally don't care).

But I understand it is currently in beta simply so the Devs can develop their apps to work with it and what not. But given it's SOOOO insanely buggy, crashes all the time and whatever other strange things that happen. Developing for iOS 7 must suck at times, I'd be so insanely irritated that I couldn't even do so because everything was messing up or causing problems all the time with the device itself.

Are there any developers out there that have had these issues?

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Right now the iOS 7 beta is better than some of the previous betas (such as iOS 6, 5, etc) that have been released in regards to bugs and stability.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
This is strictly from someone who's using iOS 7 and am not a developer(keep your comments about that to yourself, I personally don't care).

But I understand it is currently in beta simply so the Devs can develop their apps to work with it and what not. But given it's SOOOO insanely buggy, crashes all the time and whatever other strange things that happen. Developing for iOS 7 must suck at times, I'd be so insanely irritated that I couldn't even do so because everything was messing up or causing problems all the time with the device itself.

We don't care about that. If springboard crashes - we see the logs and know whether it was a bug. Having an app ready for day 1, however, is the only reason for using it.

The only people who moan about iOS 7 are those who use it on their every day device (even if they don't care) ;)

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Right now the iOS 7 beta is better than some of the previous betas (such as iOS 6, 5, etc) that have been released in regards to bugs and stability.

Considering this and that iOS 7 is a complete overhaul, Apple is on their game at this point.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
I haven't had any real issues with stability when testing my apps. I did have to deal with a couple of visual/layout issues caused by changes in iOS 7, including:

• Views now take up the entire screen vertically, even if there is a navigation bar on top. This effectively moves everything up too far, so you have to specify different vertical offsets/positions for iOS 6 & 7.

• Standard buttons now have no background (used to be a white rounded rectangle) - they are just text. I think this is a mistake on Apple's part, because it's now more difficult for users to distinguish buttons from content. For my apps, I created a background image to use so my buttons still look like buttons.

• Tables now have a default left margin - which looks nice in most cases - but I can't figure out how to get rid of it for the one table I have that shouldn't have any margin. I'm hoping this is something that Apple is still tweaking and/or fixing.
Other than visual stuff, things have been working reasonably well.

jebbe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Louisville, KY
I'm just going to throw it out there, I bet a majority of you are using an iPhone 5? haha

I have a 4S and it's nothing but polished at all. Almost every stock app does not work, touch screen stops working at random times and that seems like that could cause some really big problems with trying to work on something.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
I'm just going to throw it out there, I bet a majority of you are using an iPhone 5? haha

I have a 4S and it's nothing but polished at all. Almost every stock app does not work, touch screen stops working at random times and that seems like that could cause some really big problems with trying to work on something.

I have an iPhone 4s

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
It's not that bad. Some of the API changes are annoying and whatnot. But the actual OS itself is perfectly fine to test on.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Not sure where you are getting this information from. I've been running iOS 7 on my main phone for over a week and it's stable enough to use as a daily driver.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida

Have you done a clean install or do you just update?

Holty123

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2008
Crington UK

No complaints from me pretty good beta mostly test on the ios sim anyhow

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009

Considering they've been doing this since iOS 2.0+ I don't think it's that much of a hassle.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
So you are not a developer posting about things you admit you don't understand but we aren't supposed to point that out....right.

iOS 7 is more than usable and stable enough on both iPhone and iPad to use for development.

gomoq13

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2013
Singapore
I use iOS 7 beta as a daily driver on an iPhone 4 and 4s and an iPad 3. I only did a clean install on the 4s. Not much difference in performance and glitches, except there is a noticeable lag on the 4 and occasional random restart for the iPad 3. I'll do a clean install on the 4 and the iPad when I'm in the mood for it. Haha! I'm so used to iOS 7 already. It's hard to go back to iOS 6. Just love everything about it.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
OP It's buggy and crashes because it's a beta. But having been around iOS betas as a Dev since iOS 3 I have to agree with the others, it's fine for development, and is more stable than some of the other Betas I've come across.

It's not for you.

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013

"Keep your comments to yourself, I personally don't care"

Ironic that - nor do we. Please carry on imagining being "insanely irritated" in isolation, thanks.

Anything else?

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
The only people who moan about iOS 7 are those who use it on their every day device (even if they don't care) ;)

I am and I don't, and I am legit :)

In English: I am using it on my everyday device
I don't complain about the crashes as I can deal with it
It is a legit install. I have a developers account and I am playing with developing a program in my spare time.

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
"Developing for iOS 7 must suck"

Eating the ingredients for Steak and Chips, uncooked, must also "suck" :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.