Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jedster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
First time poster and long time Mac nut and site fan here, I tend to go with the belief that -If- (I know that there is 99.99% chance of a Tablet being given to us on Wednesday but, to be precise) this new Tablet is given released by Apple that it will be a content consumption device as opposed to being a content creation device. That being said, depending on the specs and if the previous statement is incorrect, could the tablet be used to run the iPhone SDK. Maybe a better question would be, would you want to create iPhone apps on a Tablet?

My thoughts are that this new device won't run the iPhone OS but neither will it run the normal Mac OSX. This new tablet OS will be a cross pollination or merge of both OS'. Maybe this new Tablet will be as good for content creation as well as content consumption. Can't wait till the event.

shrimpdesign

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
I think it'll share a lot of UIKit and CocoaTouch APIs with the iPhone, but I hope it's a new OS. There's absolutely no way to scale an iPhone app created specifically for 3.5" screen to a 10" screen. The interaction is going to be completely different.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
I think it'll share a lot of UIKit and CocoaTouch APIs with the iPhone, but I hope it's a new OS. There's absolutely no way to scale an iPhone app created specifically for 3.5" screen to a 10" screen. The interaction is going to be completely different.

Apple wouldn't simply scale it up - they wouldn't do a Microsoft in reverse (trying to fit a desktop OS UI paradigm into a handset form factor without thinking).

Could bundle 2 versions within an app - so you get both if the dev has created an iPhone & tablet version. I agree - Apple won't want devs just increasing the width and heighT of their app - they'll want them to rethink and implement their app for the new form factor.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
That being said, depending on the specs and if the previous statement is incorrect, could the tablet be used to run the iPhone SDK. Maybe a better question would be, would you want to create iPhone apps on a Tablet?

I think the OP is asking whether one will be able to create iPhone apps on the tablet. That is to say, will it double as a creation and consumption device.

I don't think it will be used in that way personally. I think Apple will mainly push this for consumption, but who knows.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Run XCode on a Tablet? Not likely if it's using a modified iPhone OS. XCode is a Mac program. You could hack files through text editors - there are likely going to be some more impressive ones coming soon. But coding's more keyboard orientated and typo unfriendly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.