Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Do you really need it if you are still with Mojave, iTunes 12.6.3 and iOS 14.xx and no new devices @ the horizon?
Is it going to mess up with everything working and reduce it to ashes?!

It's available on your computer in System Preferences
or as standalone updates at this link #58 thanks to tywebb13

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...wkxykwe0u6oj9mlxdfdqt4ai5/MobileDeviceSU2.pkg

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...qgvohbwkxykwe0u6oj9mlxdfdqt4ai5/CoreTypes.pkg

It is for Big Sur, Catalina, Mojave, High Sierra, Sierra and El Capitan.

Last edited:
Reactions: camelia

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
Saw your post in the other thread. I'm in [almost] the same position: I'm on Mojave 10.14.6, iOS 14.8, but I'm running iTunes 12.9.5.

I had similar reservations, but I just took the plunge this morning and I haven't noticed any issues so far.

A periphery concern I've had with MobileDevice updates is how it affects seemingly unrelated apps - about 6 months ago I couldn't launch iDVD (one of the reasons I'm still on Mojave w/ a cMP), and a look at the crash log seemed to point to an issue with the MobileDevice framework. Amazingly/oddly enough, an update to the MobileDevice framework fixed the issue, but this update was only triggered by a point-release update to iOS on my phone, which I subsequently connected to iTunes, which gave me that prompt.

So to answer your question, I think you're safe. I'm guessing the update adds support for new hardware/software just released but doesn't touch any old stuff.

That said, I think it's a terrible shame that folks like myself, who are running software only a few years old - because Apple deliberately deprecates useful features in newer stuff (and that's a huge problematic issue on its own merits) - are forced to be extra wary of updates from Cupertino. I'm honestly less concerned about problems arising from software I download from random websites than I am about software I download from Apple.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
That said, I think it's a terrible shame that folks like myself, who are running software only a few years old - because Apple deliberately deprecates useful features in newer stuff (and that's a huge problematic issue on its own merits) - are forced to be extra wary of updates from Cupertino. I'm honestly less concerned about problems arising from software I download from random websites than I am about software I download from Apple.
thank you, if a “dude” can keep my macbook air updated, something is snobby with apple!

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
Device Support Update.jpg

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
Not sure if this update is needed with older iOS devices but I installed it anyway on different Macs and no issue whatsoever.

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
forgot to mention: Mojave 10.14.6 build 18G9323 iTunes 12.9.5 and iOS 14.8 recently updated to iOS 15.0

Reactions: katbel

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
Have you updated? Do you have iTunes 12.6.3? Does it still work after updating ?
Yes I do, no issues here

MBP 2012, macOS Catalina version 10.15.7 (19H1419)
Safari Version 15.0 (15612.1.29.41.4, 15612)

And

002-15367 | Device Support Update

Came

Reactions: katbel

dono42

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2018
New Hampshire, USA
I updated this morning and received a message that some system software was blocked from loading. Checked Security & Privacy. Here is the screen shot. I don't recall seeing this on any other update? This was on my MBP.
mojave device upddate.png

dono42

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2018
New Hampshire, USA
Found another issue with this POS update. It disabled the innie.kext from being loaded on my MacPro 5,1. I get a list of system software being blocked in Security and Privacy, innie is not listed, external drives no longer appear as internal. Restoring backup corrected. Thanks Apple.

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
Found another issue with this POS update. It disabled the innie.kext from being loaded on my MacPro 5,1.
Innie gets disabled after every update , IMO this is normal.
Disabling SIP and run the commands again should fix it.
I get a list of system software being blocked in Security and Privacy, innie is not listed, external drives no longer appear as internal.
If you go to: about this Mac> system info> software> extensions
you'll see it as unsigned/not loaded.

dono42

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2018
New Hampshire, USA
Innie gets disabled after every update , IMO this is normal.
Disabling SIP and run the commands again should fix it.

If you go to: about this Mac> system info> software> extensions
you'll see it as unsigned/not loaded.
I guess I am lucky, this is the first time innie was disabled after a number of security updates. Reran the commands nothing happened. Still get the list of unsigned kext in Security and Privacy that are listed in system information - software - extensions without innie.

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
I normally run my Mac's with SIP disabled. This is the first time I see that an update enabled SIP. Obviously SIP enabled disabled Innie. Ran the Innie commands back to normal. Thanks @KeesMacPro
I installed Innie long time ago on my main MP 4,1>5,1 running Mojave.
This is very well possible with SIP enabled.
Disabling SIP is only necessary to run the commands .
Once Innie is loaded, SIP can be enabled again (if you want) and won't kick out Innie.
The only minor detail is that (usually) after a security update, SIP gets enabled by default again and.... unsigned kexts will not be loaded.
Apple's ways are inconceivable ....

Reactions: dono42

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
I ran Catalina Security Update 2021-007 and now I'm being shown that another Device Support Update exists. Can someone please provide the direct links for these updates?
Do you really need it if you are still with Mojave, iTunes 12.6.3 and iOS 14.xx and no new devices @ the horizon?
Is it going to mess up with everything working and reduce it to ashes?!

It's available on your computer in System Preferences
or as standalone updates at this link #58 thanks to tywebb13

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...wkxykwe0u6oj9mlxdfdqt4ai5/MobileDeviceSU2.pkg

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...qgvohbwkxykwe0u6oj9mlxdfdqt4ai5/CoreTypes.pkg

It is for Big Sur, Catalina, Mojave, High Sierra, Sierra and El Capitan.
Just download the direct download links and install again, yes again

Camelia

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.