Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caladbolg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2014
Ontario, Canada
mPZD1.png

I unchecked and re-checked whatever is in the Devices multiple times, but nothing changes. Tested it with the ones in Favourites; they get updated fine real-time. But not whatever is in Devices.

I used Terminal to repair permissions. Deleted finder plist and the sidebarlists plist and relaunched Finder again but nothing changes.

One day it suddenly disappears and I can't add it back. Any idea on how to fix this?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Can you show devices in a sidebar if you log in to another user account?
This would be a good use for another account, so you could make a new user just for this purpose.
(Users and Groups pane, click the padlock to unlock, then click the (+) to add another user)
Log out of your user, then log back in to your new account. Open a Finder window.
Do you see devices in the sidebar?

Caladbolg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Can you show devices in a sidebar if you log in to another user account?
This would be a good use for another account, so you could make a new user just for this purpose.
(Users and Groups pane, click the padlock to unlock, then click the (+) to add another user)
Log out of your user, then log back in to your new account. Open a Finder window.
Do you see devices in the sidebar?
Hello, thank you for the reply.
I created a test account, and I see Devices. I unchecked/checked things in Devices, and this time things work.
Back to my main account, not working again. What would this mean?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
It means that your problem is limited to the user account - and is not a system-wide problem.
Meaning that you haven't found the settings file or .plist that handles that.
It will be simpler to find that file in your NEW account (much smaller number of files in a new account that would affect that), so, go into your user folder Library folder. You can easily get to that normally hidden Library, by holding your Option key, the clicking on the Go menu in the finder. You will see the Library near the middle of that Go menu.
So, once in the Library, open the Preferences folder. Sort the list by date.
Granted, most files in that folder will be new, but if you just changed related settings, your .plist should be near the top of the sorted files. You may see one that you did not try in your normal user. It's also a new user account, with nothing that you would need to save, so you can experiment with a couple of different files. You should also look in your user Library folder, in the Caches folder. I will usually remove that caches folder completely, every month or two. You could also, as it won't harm anything, the cache files will simply be recreated as they are needed.
If you do remove some files, .plist or caches folders, your next step is not to try your fix, but to restart. That will unload the settings for RAM, and force some settings to reset to default.
Do the same while logged in to your normal account. If you make changes to settings files, and delete some files, always log out and log back in to your user. That should get things back to normal for you.
Hope this helps you.

Reactions: Caladbolg
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.