Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Is there a difference? I want to restore my iPad as new in the most thorough way as possible, but before I begin, I have a few questions.

1.) Is there a difference between DFU mode and Recovery Mode?

2.) Is there any danger in engaging in either mode?

3.) What should I use to thoroughly wipe my device?

4.) How do I begin the preferred mode? I keep hearing different ways to initiate "DFU" mode. Two common ones are plugging in the device while holding the home button, another is plugging in the device, holding down the lock and home button till screen goes black, then let go of lock but continue holding home... What should I do??

5.) Do both modes (if they are different) prompt iTunes to have the "iTunes has detected a device in recovery mode" message, which will in turn allow one to proceed to easily exit this mode and begin the wipe?

I just need huge amounts of clarification around all these things. Whenever I try and search I get different answers from every source it seems.

?.) Oh one more unrelated thing that I can't find a consistent answer for either - Does iTunes backup App Data? So the progress in a game for example will still be there when you backup and restore from it?

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
1) Yes.
2) No.
3) I'd recommend DFU.
4) See below for DFU steps.
5) Both modes trigger the same message in iTunes.
With "Recovery", you might see the iTunes logo on the device. With "DFU", the screen on the device is BLANK.

?) iTunes does back up app data. It backs up mostly the same thing as iCloud. If you enable encryption with your backup, then it should backup exactly the same thing as iCloud.

Restoring from Backup is quicker in iTunes though, as it just copies your apps and stuff back to the device over USB instead of downloading everything.

To enter DFU mode (the only way I know of):

*) connect device to computer

*) power device off

*) hold Power + Home for 10 seconds (look at a clock while doing this, to make sure of the seconds)

*) release power (but continue holding Home button)

after ~7 seconds the computer will detect a device in DFU mode.

With Recovery:

It requires that Find my Phone or Activation Lock be disabled first.

It copies system files onto device over existing files (I think).

With DFU:

It does not require that Find my Phone or Activation Lock be disabled

It totally wipes the device, re-does partitions, copies files new (I think).

DFU is the more "thorough" method of erasing the device.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
1) Yes.
2) No.
3) I'd recommend DFU.
4) See below for DFU steps.
5) Both modes trigger the same message in iTunes.
With "Recovery", you might see the iTunes logo on the device. With "DFU", the screen on the device is BLANK.

?) iTunes does back up app data. It backs up mostly the same thing as iCloud. If you enable encryption with your backup, then it should backup exactly the same thing as iCloud.

Restoring from Backup is quicker in iTunes though, as it just copies your apps and stuff back to the device over USB instead of downloading everything.

To enter DFU mode (the only way I know of):

*) connect device to computer

*) power device off

*) hold Power + Home for 10 seconds (look at a clock while doing this, to make sure of the seconds)

*) release power (but continue holding Home button)

after ~7 seconds the computer will detect a device in DFU mode.

With Recovery:

It requires that Find my Phone or Activation Lock be disabled first.

It copies system files onto device over existing files (I think).

With DFU:

It does not require that Find my Phone or Activation Lock be disabled

It totally wipes the device, re-does partitions, copies files new (I think).

DFU is the more "thorough" method of erasing the device.

Okay, sounds good. I've never done this before, what happens if I somehow get stuck in DFU?

DFU also doesn't require you to have a IPSW file to shift click on iTunes, right? It automatically sets up the iPad correctly once you proceed with the recovery mode message, correct? I just don't want to do something wrong and cause issues or mess up my iPad somehow. I want a thorough "refresh" as things have been abnormally buggy for me.

richardc1983

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2010
Leeds, UK
Okay, sounds good. I've never done this before, what happens if I somehow get stuck in DFU?

DFU also doesn't require you to have a IPSW file to shift click on iTunes, right? It automatically sets up the iPad correctly once you proceed with the recovery mode message, correct? I just don't want to do something wrong and cause issues or mess up my iPad somehow. I want a thorough "refresh" as things have been abnormally buggy for me.

When I was researching this there are two DFU modes. One is the one your referring to and theres another called TRUE Hardware DFU mode. Which seems impossible to get into. https://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/DFU_Mode#Enter_True_Hardware_DFU_Mode_Automatically Check the bottom of this page out.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Finally got around to doing this, my iPad is in DFU mode right now and is currently being restored via iTunes. I got it into DFU mode on the first try! Screen completely black, and the "recovery mode" message popped up on iTunes. Just waiting for the restore at the very moment. Thanks a bunch. I will keep you updated.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Finally got around to doing this, my iPad is in DFU mode right now and is currently being restored via iTunes. I got it into DFU mode on the first try! Screen completely black, and the "recovery mode" message popped up on iTunes. Just waiting for the restore at the very moment. Thanks a bunch. I will keep you updated.

You're doing better than I ever do. Usually takes me at least two tries, sometimes three. :rolleyes: :eek:

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
You're doing better than I ever do. Usually takes me at least two tries, sometimes three. :rolleyes: :eek:

I just had my iPhone 6 in front of me, I started the stop watch and immediately held the sleep/wake and home buttons, once it hit ten seconds I let go of the sleep/wake button. I was quite surprised it worked, given that it was my first time ever putting a device into DFU mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.