Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pit29

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2006
The Golden State
Hi all,

I posted this yesterday in the OSX section, but got no reply. Since I have some more info, I am asking again for help here - the Networking forum is more appropiate, sorry for not realizing that earlier.

Anyway, here's the problem. Since Friday last week, my university's server would only assign 10.0.1.6 as an IP address to me. I am also getting 8 "10.0.1.1" entries in the DNS server section in System preferences, and a strange, non-university related ".com"-entry in the Search domain field. This happens even when I connect via a router to our local subnetwork (both via ethernet and wireless). No problems when I access the network at other places or from home via VPN.
(Strangly, I was having a valid IP address for 2 minutes this morning, but after unplugging the ethernet cable and replugging it, I was back to 10.0.1.6.)

Is this an issue with my computer (I am running 10.5.6) or with the network? My guess is it couldn't be the latter, for my colleagues' computers work, and it didn't work for me even when I was "behind" our local WLAN router's MAC address. Are there ways to delete the (greyed) 10.0.1.1 entries and the search domain address - and would that help at all?

I appreciate your support!
Pit

pit29

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2006
The Golden State
UPDATE - works again

Everything works - a colleague of mine had IT support disable a port, and after that everyting was fine again...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.