Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TBoneMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
CA
Hello — does anyone know if Blizzard mentioned whether their Diablo 2 remaster/remake would be available for macOS. I see it’s available for PC, Switch, Xbox, PlayStation but it doesn’t say macOS — on the website it shows the “logo” of Windows, Nintendo Switch, Xbox And Ps5/Playstation but no macOS

iAlexandre

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2016
Montréal
Hi! My guess is we will see Diablo 2 Resurrected on Mac at some point in the future. Most of Blizzard Games were not released at the same time on Windows and macOS.

Warcraft III Reforge and Starcraft I Remastered have been released on macOS in 2019 and 2020.

If they don't port the game to Mac, I'm done with Blizzard

iAlexandre

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2016
Montréal
With the M1 just out, it would also make
sense to get the game running only on M1 computers, as intel macs will be long gone 5 years from now & end of life in 8.

Reactions: michaelnugent

TBoneMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
CA
well I could understand if it was a new game like Diablo 4 (I guess) for them not making it work on intel macs.. this game has worked for all macOS versions until catalina, now they're updating it to work on 64 bit PCs/OS and they're not going to take the opportunity to make it work on macOS again (64 bit PC/OS) .. I hope that I am wrong but it seems like they're not mentioning macOS or anything

OS-SEX

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2012
Make no mistake, Blizzard is abandoning the Mac platform. Diablo 4 is not being developed for Mac. The Diablo 2 remake is not being developed for Mac. Overwatch was never made available for Mac. And the classic game pack with Lost Vikings etc. is also for Windows only. Blizzard used to be the one developer we could count on. It's sad to see that is over now.

buttongerald

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2016
St. John's, Newfoundland
Most of Blizzard Games were not released at the same time on Windows and macOS.
This has only since the release of Overwatch. Blizzard titles used to launch same day on Windows based platforms and Mac based platforms. Blizzard were probably one of the, if not the ONLY major game developer to do this for new titles.

Pretty safe to say apart from iOS and Hearthstone, Blizzard sees little value in the Mac platform anymore. And it shows in some of their titles as well. World of Warcraft I find is much buggier within macOS than Windows 10, even on the same hardware.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
With the M1 just out, it would also make
sense to get the game running only on M1 computers, as intel macs will be long gone 5 years from now & end of life in 8.
You do know this is a silly comment? :D
I do not think a M1 Mac mini, M1 Mac Book Air and a M1 13" MacBook Pro represents a anything more then a small niche of the Mac Computer owners out there.

We have yet to see any Apple Silicone step up and be the same performance or better as a 16" laptop with discrete GPU, and the same for iMacs, iMac Professionals, MacPro workstations. Maybe this upcoming Apple WWDC we will learn more. Perhaps by the following Apple WWDC after that we might be able to see the future better.

Anyway D2 is nothing special its just the old game playable on new machines. I wouldn't even try to sell it to Mac users as this is a 2001 game. :)

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Hello — does anyone know if Blizzard mentioned whether their Diablo 2 remaster/remake would be available for macOS. I see it’s available for PC, Switch, Xbox, PlayStation but it doesn’t say macOS — on the website it shows the “logo” of Windows, Nintendo Switch, Xbox And Ps5/Playstation but no macOS
At this time because of the Apple Transition game vendors are ignoring us. Blizzard has likely been briefed on what's involved and not focused on providing a port of this 2001 antique. We need a sizable user base of the new Apple Silicon computers to create ample demand for Blizzard to even look our way.

Likely you would see that Diablo Immortal on a iPad maybe.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I would actually like to see just how many M1 Macs are in the wild.
9to5 has this Jan 6th, 2021 article "M1 Macs market share 0.8%; will be 7% by summer – TrendForce"

Market intelligence firm TrendForce has estimated that the M1 Macs market share is currently 0.8% of all laptop sales, but expects new models to push Apple’s share to 7% by the summer.
For this to really grow we need to be seeing games that convince game developers of its viability. Lot of the ones shown are not what you would say our representative of games we use to have. :)

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Gaming is pretty much dead these days on the Mac, why would anyone buy an
Apple computer these days for home use ?
I only use my Mac these days for internet and mail etc, all my gaming except one game
is done on a PS4 and Bootcamp.

Last edited:

Jws

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
AR
I was so disappointed to learn that Diablo 2 Resurrected would not be coming to macOS. Blizzard was always dependable in that way to provide their games to Macs as well as PC. I'm hoping that there was just some issue with this game being so old and 32-bit being the reason why it couldn't be updated, but I doubt it given how Blizzard is only a shadow of the company it used to be. I wouldn't hold my breath for Diablo IV coming to Mac at this point either, although I will still secretly hope for it.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I was so disappointed to learn that Diablo 2 Resurrected would not be coming to macOS. Blizzard was always dependable in that way to provide their games to Macs as well as PC. I'm hoping that there was just some issue with this game being so old and 32-bit being the reason why it couldn't be updated, but I doubt it given how Blizzard is only a shadow of the company it used to be. I wouldn't hold my breath for Diablo IV coming to Mac at this point either, although I will still secretly hope for it.
Do we really need Diablo 2 Resurrected for Mac owners? Maybe if you're not really familiar with it, you could give it a whirl. But for some of us that played it too much, even if the graphics are spruced up its just a series of campaign acts then it ends. You can play all the character roles, but eventually you'll be bored. It's from 2000/2001. So they made the new version for PCs be able to run in 64 bit. Now D4 it's 2 years from now. Plenty of time for Apple to transition the entire range of Macs to powerful CPU/GPU combos. Maybe ample time to have some kind of Windows VM also. We can hope.

I also have played Path of Exile a bit, but endless campaign acts is boring like D2, the only thing fun is no limits with variations of skill tree play style with multiple starting roles. It doesn't have the neat loot system that Diablo 2, 3 has. Oh well game developers give us a alternative to these two game developers please. ;)

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
I'm not sure it will ever come, as they have been moving away from macOS. I'm very disappointed in Blizzard.
Indeed, but at the same time, the WoW team seems pretty invested in the Mac. WoW was perhaps the first Metal game and the first native M1 game.
The team leader must like the Mac.

TBoneMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
CA

Do we really need Diablo 2 Resurrected for Mac owners? Maybe if you're not really familiar with it, you could give it a whirl. But for some of us that played it too much, even if the graphics are spruced up its just a series of campaign acts then it ends. You can play all the character roles, but eventually you'll be bored. It's from 2000/2001. So they made the new version for PCs be able to run in 64 bit. Now D4 it's 2 years from now. Plenty of time for Apple to transition the entire range of Macs to powerful CPU/GPU combos. Maybe ample time to have some kind of Windows VM also. We can hope.

I also have played Path of Exile a bit, but endless campaign acts is boring like D2, the only thing fun is no limits with variations of skill tree play style with multiple starting roles. It doesn't have the neat loot system that Diablo 2, 3 has. Oh well game developers give us a alternative to these two game developers please. ;)
sorry but some people have been waiting for Diablo 2 for a long time as a macOS user, I cannot play diablo 2 anymore (since Catalina) and have been waiting for blizzard to release this remake for that exact reason. I have sent the company tickets in the past asking them about it and they always just said that I'd have to wait for more information but that the information would make me happy//excite me.. So I am still secretly hoping for a macOS version but I don't know

What do you want me to play instead? Diablo 3, Path of Exile?? Diablo 3 is not very similar to Diablo 2 and Path of Exile hardly runs in macOS at this point. I wouldn't even need the new updated graphics for Diablo 2 I would be happy with a simple 64-bit version on macOS with the old 4:3 graphics.

And no it's not just a series of acts and then it ends. Maybe that's your goal but my goal has always been to create a powerful character and that comes by constant grinding. I play singleplayer Hardcore and it's a lot of fun even today.. but I cannot play anymore since macOS is 64bit and blizzard has since refused to update diablo 2 to be 64 bit even though they did it for Starcraft (?!) -- So I have NO idea why they would make a remaster for a game that has always been available on macOS since they released it on macOS a month after the original PC release. How could they miss this opportunity to "allow" macOS users to play natively again.

TBoneMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
CA
Indeed, but at the same time, the WoW team seems pretty invested in the Mac. WoW was perhaps the first Metal game and the first native M1 game.
The team leader must like the Mac.
I hope that team leader demands a macOS 64 client of Diablo 2

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Make no mistake, Blizzard is abandoning the Mac platform. Diablo 4 is not being developed for Mac. The Diablo 2 remake is not being developed for Mac. Overwatch was never made available for Mac. And the classic game pack with Lost Vikings etc. is also for Windows only. Blizzard used to be the one developer we could count on. It's sad to see that is over now.

Can’t blame them. It’s hardly worthwhile to develop for macOS and especially m1. Blame apple. It’s up to them to attract developers.

Last edited:

iAlexandre

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2016
Montréal

I don’t think it is still 32 bit. The game is coming to the Switch which is ARM. Yet, still no mention on coming to M1 mac at least...

buttongerald

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2016
St. John's, Newfoundland
the WoW team seems pretty invested in the Mac. WoW was perhaps the first Metal game and the first native M1 game.
While this is true, it's more so because it's a still ongoing MMO and at this point killing it off of a single platform for no reason would be just foolish.

The team leader must like the Mac Money.
Fixed that for ya.

What do you want me to play instead? Diablo 3, Path of Exile?? Diablo 3 is not very similar to Diablo 2 and Path of Exile hardly runs in macOS at this point. I wouldn't even need the new updated graphics for Diablo 2 I would be happy with a simple 64-bit version on macOS with the old 4:3 graphics.
If you want to play it that badly, install Windows via Bootcamp if you have an Intel based Mac.

So I have NO idea why they would make a remaster for a game that has always been available on macOS since they released it on macOS a month after the original PC release. How could they miss this opportunity to "allow" macOS users to play natively again.
Gaming on Mac is not very widespread and is pretty niche. A big triple A studio like Blizzard wants to maximize profits, and have been getting greedier and dickish about it each passing year. Back in the day they were more than happy to support Mac gaming, but your going to have to come to the reality that those days are just long gone sadly.

I hope that team leader demands a macOS 64 client of Diablo 2
Yeah, and not long after that the higher ups will demand a new team lead.

Blame apple. It’s up to them to attract developers.
100% this.

In the past few years Apple have done the run around on their hardware and systems, and some developers aren't loving it as we think they are. Switching from different graphic APIs and then moving from Intel based chipsets to their own custom silicon. Developers wake up and think to themselves "How will Apple **** about this week now I wonder?"

But at the end of the day Blizzard is a company that is driven by profit. They don't care all that much anymore about the quality of the product, nor what you think of it. The company has enough whales/blind fanboys who still pan for the days of old with the company and will continue to throw money at them blindly.

Remember, this is the same company that recorded record profits one year, but because it was slightly less than was projected, several 100 employees got the axe anyway.

I can tell from reading your posts you must really love the game, and I can sympathize, I do to. Hell, I even have my original Diablo 2 strategy guide and it's in damn near perfect condition for something that's 20 years old and was read more than a catholic priest reads a bible.. but you're just going to have to come with the terms that it probably is unlikely we are going to get it for macOS. It sucks, it really sucks, but that's sadly the way she goes.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
While this is true, it's more so because it's a still ongoing MMO and at this point killing it off of a single platform for no reason would be just foolish.
But they had no reason to make a native M1 version. The game works well under Rosetta.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I play singleplayer Hardcore and it's a lot of fun even today.. but I cannot play anymore since macOS is 64bit and blizzard has since refused to update diablo 2 to be 64 bit even though they did it for Starcraft (?!) -- So I have NO idea why they would make a remaster for a game that has always been available on macOS since they released it on macOS a month after the original PC release. How could they miss this opportunity to "allow" macOS users to play natively again.
Blizzard provided Window 10 compatibility with patch 1.13d to D2 back in 2016, so PC users have been able to play D2 all this time. Apple kept evolving their OS, gone is 32 bit compatibility. So it pretty obvious that Blizzard sees a established base of players with PCs and now releases this D2 Resurrected out there for the PC community. Apple hasn’t provided anything to run classic games in MacOS, their goal this whole time must have been about this planned transition for last few years. Trying to get all their business software developers to have updated applications.

TBoneMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
CA
The "pre-alpha" registration on the new blizzard launcher says "not available for macOS" but the way they're wording it sort of makes it seem like they're talking about the alpha, and not the endgame//final edition.. Maybe I'll put a ticket in and ask the blizzard reps if it's coming to macOS or not if they can tell me and I'll report back here. Maybe you guys can do the same, they might be more inclined to give official news about macOS if lots of people ask.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
The "pre-alpha" registration on the new blizzard launcher says "not available for macOS" but the way they're wording it sort of makes it seem like they're talking about the alpha, and not the endgame//final edition.. Maybe I'll put a ticket in and ask the blizzard reps if it's coming to macOS or not if they can tell me and I'll report back here. Maybe you guys can do the same, they might be more inclined to give official news about macOS if lots of people ask.
They have final requirements up and a pre-order page, all do not list macOS. The pre-order page also says not available for macOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.