Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yfael

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2016
Hey folks,

New to the MR forums. I was considering downloading/buying a copy of Diablo II but I've noticed that a lot of people on the forums have encountered problems running D2 on older MBP's.

Are any of you playing this game on your older MPB's? Is Battle.net still active 16 years after the game was released?

Thanks for your time everyone!

-R

lumine01

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2008
Funny enough, I just came to the forums to ask for some help troubleshooting. (But I'll start a new thread for that.)

I downloaded D2 and the expansion (Lord of Destruction) a couple of days ago, and while it works on my late 2011 Macbook Pro, it crashes every time I try to start it on my lat 2012 Mac Mini. On the mini (running on Yosemite), Diablo 2 itself crashed ("kernel error") every time I tired to start it, so I installed the expansion in the hopes it would somehow fix the issue, which it did not. I then hoped that by installing El Capitan that the problem might be resolved which, again, did not. Lastly, I tried re-installing D2 and LoD, but still had the same problem.

On the up side, battle.net is still running after all these years, and I was able to create an account and start playing on there without any trouble on my Macbook Pro. I was hoping to be able to play it with my son, but I might have to get creative if I can't figure out how to get it to stop crashing on the mini. :(

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
when you buy the game do you get access to both the Windows and Mac version or you have to pick 1 platform?

lumine01

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2008
when you buy the game do you get access to both the Windows and Mac version or you have to pick 1 platform?

It lets you choose either/both. You could even install different versions on different machines using the same license key, although you could only use it on one machine at any given time.

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK
I have Diablo II running on Mavericks and it can be buggy. It used to crash every time I open it. I fixed it by deleting all crash related files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.