Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AceOfBass

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Wisconsin
I'm looking to get either Diablo II or Starcraft for my MBP to play with some old friends from High School as a way of keeping in touch, and I'm wondering which works best for mac? I'm currently using a 2.2 gHz SR MBP, which means an intel processor. Also, once installed, is it possible to play online with people on non-mac's?

Thanks everybody
Ace

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I still play Starcraft from time to time, on my intel MacBook. Works fine, and yes you can play with people that don't have Macs.

Blizzard is the *best* when it comes to releasing updates for Mac and PC simultaneously to allow this to always happen.

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
Check the threads here - Diablo II runs pretty well if you turn off hardware graphics rendering. Starcraft runs pretty well under OS X but resolution sucks. D2 at least goes to 800x600.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
With Starcraft, the resolution is the same on any computer you play on. Doesn't matter if it's a 15" screen or 40" screen.

AceOfBass

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Wisconsin
cool thanks a lot! I'd been reading about the problems people were having with games on the forums and I wanted to check out these games beore spending the $30 or whatever it would be on them seeing as I'm a poor college student :D

Go Huskers
Ace

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
I'd been reading about the problems people were having with games on the forums and I wanted to check out these games beore spending the $30 or whatever it would be on them seeing as I'm a poor college student :D

You can probably get either of those games for about $10. If you're only gonna get one of them, get StarCraft. It's probably the best PC/Mac game ever, and it has aged very well.

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
Whichever you get - Diablo II, Starcraft, (or Warcraft III!) - get the Battle Chest version, as it'll include both game + expansion. You can still probably get these for $25-30 new.

AceOfBass

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Wisconsin
Whichever you get - Diablo II, Starcraft, (or Warcraft III!) - get the Battle Chest version, as it'll include both game + expansion. You can still probably get these for $25-30 new.

yeah I'm using my little brother's Discs, question though, how do I install the expansion? I clicked on the installer and it said that the file wasn't supported by the system... am I doing something wrong here?

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2004
France
Check at apple.com (search SC) and get the OSX installer. The installer that comes in the disc is for Mac OS 9.
Good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.