Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
OK, let's say I have a Windows system with "Incoming Connections" (previously called Dial-Up Server, IIRC) enabled. This allows other users to dial into the system via modem and create a simple network.

How can I dial into this sort of system using a Mac? The only "dialler" app I can find is Internet Connect, which only appears to work for Internet connections.

Hopefully you all know what I'm talking about :)

Thanks

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
As far as I know, VNC is just a remote-control tool, and requires you to already be networked with the system you want to control. That's not what I'm trying to accomplish - I want to be able to dial into a system and essentially create a 2-computer network.

Brother Michael

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
I understand what you are trying to do, connect using dial-up.

I just didn't know if VNC did that or not.

To sum up, got me, sorry Nermal

Can we still be friends? :eek: :p

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
Alright I think I may have an answer here.. I found this snippet about direct peer-to-peer dialing via modem.. http://www.macwindows.com/peertips.html#directmodem
It talks about using ClarisWorks and also ZTerm to make the connection.

I downloaded ZTerm and found it has dialing options which seem like it would work for what you are looking for (hopefully).
Can find ZTerm here ... http://homepage.mac.com/dalverson/zterm/

Using either program you should be able to make a connection between directly by plugging in the modem cable between two computers directly, though I assume you want to remotely dialup (via a telephone # and not a direct modem-to-modem connection) and ZTerm seems to look like something that can do that, though I don't have a way to test it myself.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
ZTerm looks tricky! :eek:

Fortunately this is all theoretical at this stage, just evaluating options. It might be better to use a Windows-based client system :(

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Why won't Internet Connect work? The connection to the Windows dial-in computer is a PPP connection using TCP/IP or IPX. Then, it's just a matter of routing IP or IPX packets. Do you know if the Windows computer is IP or IPX?

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Well in that case, it might work after all :)

But... it doesn't matter now. I can't be bothered to tell the whole story, so I'll just say that a third party was involved, and the system is no longer necessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.