Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ycnan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
First off, I did try searching for answers to my questions with no luck. So thank you ahead of time for your time and help. :)

I recently bought my first Mac, a Macbook. I will be out of town staying at a hotel(Marriott) for several weeks. I have 2 options for internet connection in my room, dial up and broadband. What do I need to buy to connect to the internet in my room? Is there a separate cable for dial up than for broadband?

I am currently reading more into the whole cell phone internet connection, but in case that doesn't work I need to connect to the internet somehow. I will pretty much be using my macbook for my online college classes and pretty much a form of entertainment.

Thanks again for your help.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
If they don't offer wireless(which is rare if they don't) you can pick up a 6' RJ45 ethernet cable for a buck at your nearest dollar store to hook up to their broadband connection. To use the dial-up connection, you will need your own dial-up internet service provider, but that is so 20th century :p.

You can use your cell phone as a modem but that can get expensive for the data charges unless you get a plan. Do you have a bluetooth phone? Because you can link your phone to your MacBook that way.

ycnan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
thank you

If they don't offer wireless(which is rare if they don't) you can pick up a 6' RJ45 ethernet cable for a buck at your nearest dollar store to hook up to their broadband connection. To use the dial-up connection, you will need your own dial-up internet service provider, but that is so 20th century :p.

You can use your cell phone as a modem but that can get expensive for the data charges unless you get a plan. Do you have a bluetooth phone? Because you can link your phone to your MacBook that way.

I will probably avoid dial up. My phone does have bluetooth, but I don't have the actual blue tooth ear piece. I'm not sure if that matters.

Thanks for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.