Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
After a mess of posts in The Freebies Thread in the PowerPC Macs forum — post #77 and posts #99 through #125 — I felt it was probably appropriate to give this freebie iMac its own thread and due in its own thread, rather than to monopolize a clearinghouse post (for the variety of free stuff the which MR community are keeping out of landfill and upcycling for new, extended lives).

What this thread ain’t: a place to be a Debby Downer and to bleat “not worth it” or “can’t be done”, because that’s not what the Early Intel Macs and PowerPC Macs forums have ever been about. Go play on your disposable Silicon gear. 😇

This thread is about pushing the limit of the possible and to see what we can do with still-serviceable Macs from when modular components were still a thing in the pre-Cook era.

What this iMac is: a bog-standard, base-model 20in, late 2007 iMac7,1 which a friend handed to me in lieu of them tossing it. Here are pics I shared on the other thread:

img_0197-jpg.2191481

img_0194-jpg.2191482

Goals in the queue:
  1. Clean it out! Whole disassembly, new paste, as needed, and the like;
  2. Memory. Max out the RAM [update: it was upgraded to 4GB along the way];
  3. Storage. Upgrade the OEM HDD with some kind of SSD;
  4. Processor. Change out the Santa Rosa CPU with a Penryn upgrade;
  5. Graphics. Change out the GPU with anything better (and not prone to failure);
  6. Firmware. Figure out how, if possible, to bump up the firmware to make this an iMac8,1;
  7. Have a look at the SuperDrive’s condition and function (and deciding whether to keep it, upgrade it to something else, or put in a drive caddy);
  8. Have a look at the PCIe slot which is currently home for the AirPort/Bluetooth card;
  9. LCD. Determine if the TN display can be swapped with IPS and/or if board wiring/LVDS can support an LED-backlit display (if any 20in 16:10 ratio exist); and
  10. Later macOS: Though I plan to keep Snow Leopard on a partition, throw in some OCLP love and put at least High Sierra or Mojave on there.

“Why do this? Just get something more recent.”

Because it’s always fun to know: a) what’s possible and b) make a solid kit, this being the first of the aluminium unibody design language (to later appear in the Mac mini and MacBook Pro), even better — even minding its physical limits. In addition, as most of my tinkering experience has been with either laptops or older pro-line gear (like Power Mac G4 and G5s), this project offers a new learning experience with the consumer-level iMac.

As for the last bit: heck no. I already have other Macs doing more recent things! This is supposed to be a fun side-project with (hopefully) community participation.

“What’s your goal?”

I’d love to see how far this iMac can be pushed. Knowing how I’m/we’re starting with a basement Santa Rosa model, it leaves lots of room for improvements. My own personal goal — what I’d like to see — is this iMac out-performing my A1261 2.6GHz (T9500) C2D MacBook Pro, which I do believe is do-able given the CPU swap I have in mind.

Keep reading.

23 April 2023

What I know about this iMac7,1, so far:
the spinning rust has El Capitan 10.11.6 on it (as might be expected) and, despite the system shipping with only 1GB of RAM, was upgraded at some point with 4GB (from Crucial, no less!). This last part means only a single upgrade of a 2GB stick to 4GB, to max it out at 6GB, will be needed. I recently did this with my early 2008 MacBook Pro for a remarkably reasonable price.

I also know this iMac came from the same factory in Shanghai (W8) as all of my late 2005 PowerBook G4s and aforementioned MBP, and it was assembled in early 2008, making it one of the later units in the run.

Next up: With what I have lying around, I can throw in a 120GB SSD, despite the spinner being 250GB. Also, I’m trying to source a Penryn Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz (X9000) Socket P CPU. Going prices for used ones are around USD$100, with shipping, at the low end, and prices go up from there. I’m in no speed-rush to buy one at those prices and will keep an ear peeled for ones going for less.

[Better yet: if any of y’all wanna donate spare parts for this slow-burn project, send over a PM. I can cover for shipping it to Canada — within reason.]

So that’s how this thread begins.

I’d love to invite a broader discussion here around not only this iMac but also this era of iMacs, as most of the extant threads aren’t discussing A1224s and A1225s from 2007–09 (most discuss the 2009–11 A1311 and A1312 variants).

Last edited:

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
What this thread ain’t: a place to be a Debby Downer and to bleat “not worth it” or “can’t be done”, because that’s not what the Early Intel Macs and PowerPC Macs forums have ever been about. Go play on your disposable Silicon gear. 😇

Hear hear! :D

It's a shame that these attitudes are so prevalent that this statement even needs to be articulated in the first place.

“Why do this? Just get something more recent.”

Because it’s always fun to know: a) what’s possible and b) make a solid kit, this being the first of the aluminium unibody design language (to later appear in the Mac mini and MacBook Pro), even better — even minding its physical limits. In addition, as most of my tinkering experience has been with either laptops or older pro-line gear (like Power Mac G4 and G5s), this project offers a new learning experience with the consumer-level iMac.

As for the last bit: heck no. I already have other Macs doing more recent things! This is supposed to be a fun side-project with (hopefully) community participation.

A fantastic outlook that I - of course - share and I look forward to seeing how this project progresses. :)

theMarble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2020
Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
an LED-backlit display (if any 20in 16:10 ratio exist)
From what I can tell, for 20" 16:10 displays, there are only two ways to go:

- 1680x1050 CCFL (what is used in the iMac, 20" ACD...)
- 1440x900 LED (there are a few budget monitors from LG, Samsung and a few other companies)

I know there was an LCD database site posted around here at some point, there may be one or two "special" 1680x1050 LED panels that exist which Google didn't find. Not sure how easy it would be to get your hands on one though.

Another way to go could be (don't know if this is even possible) swapping the panel from the aluminum 20" ACD, that is an IPS panel, and probably uses LVDS. If it fits, you may just have the only 20" 2007 iMac with an IPS display ;)

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
Panelook lists two LED panels… both are TN.

Have a direct link with the search query/filter for those panels?

EDIT: Might this work, once removed from the metal cage and dropped in? (as for the LED driver board, that’s another challenge) It’s 1600x1200 WLED.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2022
I will follow this thread as I may be getting my hands on a 2008 20" myself and have been researching simple upgrades to breathe some extra life into it and keep using it.

theMarble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2020
Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
Have a direct link with the search query/filter for those panels?

These are all 1680x1050 panels. Not all are LED, or 20", but they are all 16:10 (given the resolution).

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2022
The first thing I noticed was how obscene 4GB DDR2 SODIMMs are! The machine already has (I think) 2x2GB sticks which I will almost certainly leave as-is. 4 is really not so bad.

Reactions: B S Magnet

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
The first thing I noticed was how obscene 4GB DDR2 SODIMMs are! The machine already has (I think) 2x2GB sticks which I will almost certainly leave as-is. 4 is really not so bad.

After a long span when the overarching prices for the 4GB SO-DIMMs delivered locally, amounted upwards to CAD$70, I managed to find one recently for just a hair over $40, shipping inclusive. Yes, they’re still more spendy, but the one I bought has made my A1261 MBP a wee bit happier.

Keep your eyes open for a decent deal. I think they’ll turn up.

Reactions: Amethyst1

seanmccoye

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2021
There is always the parts bin at the recycle shop. Spent 30min plowing though pc100 and 133 sodims. Found 1 512mb stick and 3x256mb Tons of 128's. XP on on a 30yo dell :).

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I've been tossing up getting an alu iMac for a while now. They sit right on that cusp of 'vintage' and 'boring', where the average Joe wouldn't know it's approaching 16 years in age, let alone know that Apple doesn't sell them anymore. But at the same time, they can be easily got as freebies- I almost scored a 24-inch 2.66ghz one on Ebay with SSD and 6GB ram for $50(Aud), but forgot to bid!

As an Early Intel mac, there's great potential in them for expansion, and for having the full 64-bit EFI, which allows them to be upgraded almost to Ventura.

Design-wise, I much prefer the rimmed bezel appearance over the 2009/2012 iMacs. Bit of a shame it requires magnets to open up rather than plain/captive screws, but it's still so much better than the pure evil of glue and cables for the later ones.

Looking forward to this!

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
Design-wise, I much prefer the rimmed bezel appearance over the 2009/2012 iMacs. Bit of a shame it requires magnets to open up rather than plain/captive screws, but it's still so much better than the pure evil of glue and cables for the later ones.

I managed to solve this rather quickly by just looking for a pair of suction cups I had lying around. It lifted off easily.

Kind of a wild design solution, but the magnet-to-glass thing was pretty clever.

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
Gorgeous generation. I have a 2008 model that still gets used to this day (it has an external ssd).

The 2008 iMac can handle 6gb unofficially, I’m not sure if the 2007 models can. Maybe worth giving a try. What OS do you plan to use?

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
Gorgeous generation. I have a 2008 model that still gets used to this day (it has an external ssd).

The 2008 iMac can handle 6gb unofficially, I’m not sure if the 2007 models can. Maybe worth giving a try. What OS do you plan to use?

They will also support up to 6GB — as both the iMac7,1 (what I have) and iMac8,1 (what you have) share the same RAM limitation.

Me being me and me loving the high water mark of Mac OS X/macOS, there will absolutely be a build of 10.6.8 on it. But my plan/goal is to run an OCLP-assisted build of macOS. For sure, I’d be fine with either High Sierra or Nojave Mojave as a more “modern” build as a permanent (i.e., daily user) OS for situations where needing that is required.

---begin snark---
As much as I despise them, I’d also like to use OCLP to try installing a current, Apple-supported, major version of macOS to demonstrate how it can be done, even if I have no plans to use it. Most likely, this will probably end up being something like, ahem, Big Slur 10.16 or Moneyrey 10.17. I probably won’t bother with trying anything later like 10.18 (macOS 13). <off_topic >Watch Apple name the next build macOS Encino, Yolo, or Siskiyou :p < /off_topic >
---end snark---

Last edited:

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
Ok, just wondered in case there was something I should be aware of regarding Mojave. :D

Well, there was mention earlier in the month how Mojave and all subsequent versions of macOS having a PDF, buried deep within the system files, of the Bitcoin manifesto, but fortunately, Mojave and all later macOS iterations have been builds which got rid of all that pre-Lion bloat.

::stares_at_the_fourth_wall::

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2022
This thing is pretty usable, despite the spinning rust. There will definitely be an SSD in the near future and I would love to look for a drop-in WiFi/Bluetooth upgrade to enable Continuity and AirDrop.

1682564389346.png

Took me a hot second to figure out that I needed to update those expired SSL certs so I could actually use the web but I've got a somewhat recent version of my second favourite browser and can do all the modern browser things I might want.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.