Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hustler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2010
On my iPad Air 2 running iPadOS, up until 2 days ago dictation has been working fine. For example I could be in a text or an Apple note and tap the microphone button on the keyboard, say my part, it would process for a split second then type out a mostly correct phrase of my speech.

Today I noticed it no longer works. I tried turning ipad off then on by the sleep wake button, a hard reset with home button and sleep held. Then I tried going to settings > keyboard> dictation and it was turned on. Just to try it I toggled it off, restarted then toggled it back on. Still doesn’t work. I’ve turned Siri off and on no help. I noticed there was a new version of the beta today so I updated to it, still won’t work and tried toggling dictation/ Siri again, nothing.

I know the mic works, if I go to voice memo it records my speech clearly. I also know it’s not an internet connection issue, i tried my work WiFi, my iPhone X LTE hotspot, and now my home WiFi and same results.

Any advice on something to try other than removing the beta? It has been working fine for so long while using iPadOS then all of a sudden it’s dead.

Thanks, Brad

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I have the opposite problem on my iPhone Pro Max - I can't turn off dictation. If I am talking as I type in a text field everything I say is inserted. Just spent 1:30 on the line with Apple Support. She wants to know if the problem happens with the base software so we did a complete phone reset. On setup no settings were transferred and no restore from backup. We have a call scheduled for tomorrow evening. I can use the phone, but can't touch settings. She is clearly thinking it is a software problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.