Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dazzer21-2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2005
I've been asked to transcribe some audio files that have been sent to me in MP4 format. My idea was to play the MP4s from Quicktime and set up dictation in Text Edit to record/transcribe it. The moment I start dictation (fn fn), it shuts off the built-in audio. For some strange reason, I have also tried playing the file on one Mac and recording via dictation on another, but it doesn't work - records the odd word here and there. Is there an automatic way to do this?

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
I've been asked to transcribe some audio files that have been sent to me in MP4 format. My idea was to play the MP4s from Quicktime and set up dictation in Text Edit to record/transcribe it. The moment I start dictation (fn fn), it shuts off the built-in audio. For some strange reason, I have also tried playing the file on one Mac and recording via dictation on another, but it doesn't work - records the odd word here and there. Is there an automatic way to do this?

Try the above, either the detailed software explanation, or just uploading the audio to YouTube. Note - your problem with muted audio is intentional by Apple. You can see in the explanation above how to override that setting.

dazzer21-2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2005
The playing of the files from my phone into the Mac is achieving results; not perfect but certainly workable. Thanks for your answers.

Reactions: SuperMatt
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.