Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Miguel Cunha

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
Braga, Portugal
Hello!

Does anyone know where the system dictionary files are stored?
In MacOS 10.11 they are stored in: /Library/Dictionaries/.
However, in MacOS High Sierra, such directory doesn't exist.
I already look for these files, but I'm unable to find their location.

One other thing: is it possible to create a custom dictionary file?
If so, how is it done?

Thank you.

vietluvmac

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
Hello!

Does anyone know where the system dictionary files are stored?
In MacOS 10.11 they are stored in: /Library/Dictionaries/.
However, in MacOS High Sierra, such directory doesn't exist.
I already look for these files, but I'm unable to find their location.

One other thing: is it possible to create a custom dictionary file?
If so, how is it done?

Thank you.
Here you go:

Apple dictionaries:
Macintosh_HD/System/Library/Assets/com_apple_MobileAsset_DictionaryServices_dictionaryOSX/

Custom dictionaries:
/Users/your_username/Library/Dictionaries/

yobbok

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2011
Thank you very much vietluvmac.:)

I do not see an Assets folder or a Dictionary folder in my Library folder. I can't seem to find the dictionary file in High Sierra as I have way to many incorrectly spelt words which is correcting correct with incorrect words.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You are looking in the wrong Library folder. There is a minimum of three Library folders on any Mac - more if you have more than one user account. You just have to look in the correct Library folder.
As was posted in Post #2, the Assets folder is NOT in your Library folder. You can find that in the /System/Library/ folder.

I'm pretty sure that you will find the spelling list (with your misspelled words :cool: ) in your user/Library/Spelling/ folder

owlsdaughter

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2011
I have found my way here years after the discussion, and I have no idea how to search for /Users/your_username/Library/Dictionaries/.

Even if I plug in what I think is my username (not totally sure), I can't find anything that says Library/Dictionaries.

I can't even find /Library.

I am on High Sierra 10.13.6.

Sorry to be so clueless, but I do not know how to dig into these kinds of files. But I would love to solve this problem, as I am having it, too: I cannot get the Mac Dictionary to "learn" any new, custom words and it's driving me crazy. (Word works find, wouldn't you just know...).

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Find your Library folder:
Click on your desktop, so you see "Finder" next the the Apple icon in your menubar. (You can also click on the smiling Mac icon on the end of your Dock. That will also take you to the Finder.)
Now, click on the "Go" menu.
You should see a list of various locations that you can "click".
While that menu is showing, press your Option key. You should see "Library" appear in the list. That's YOUR Library, so click on that.
And, you can now browse through your own Library folder. You SHOULD also now see the Dictionaries folder that you want to find. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.