Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
I have been in favour of the 7.1 in several discussions. But I would never claim that everybody should dismiss the AS version. I have read many comments as to why it makes more sense to move on from Intel macs.
Those who purchased the new Mac Pro would certainly have considered their options.

Let me present one example.

Last edited:

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Just curious how people actually bought the joke called the 2023 Mac "Pro".
If so, why?

Didn't need to buy one, already have the 2019 Mac Pro which does the job very well.

Was originally a 16 core with W6800X MPX from Apple, now upgrading to top CPU. I'll gradually increase the RAM.

Last edited:
Reactions: G5isAlive

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Just curious how people actually bought the joke called the 2023 Mac "Pro".
If so, why?

Pretty sure people might be more enthusiastic in replying if you didn't lay out your criticism by calling it a joke lol.

And no, it wasn't for me. Apple Studio is plenty. But I have no doubt there customers out there that it made sense for.

Reactions: Basic75

Jethro!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
Pretty sure people might be more enthusiastic in replying if you didn't lay out your criticism by calling it a joke lol.
Who doesn't think it's a joke?

So far the tally is -0- bought the 2023 MP. Not surprising.

Jethro!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
I bought one and love it. I wanted something with internal storage upgrade capabilities that would go on the floor as opposed to on my desk. Hopefully that doesn't bother you too much.
So you love it... for how long? It's disposable. As soon as you hit the wall as to its capabilities you'll have no upgrade path. You'll have to chuck it (and get another disposable "pro" machine -- if Apple has their way).

• Angry

Geddon_jt

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2023
To your point :) I don't own the new Mac Pro. But this is the cheapest SSD upgrade I have seen
8TB SSD kit on e-bay

Yeah, the apple branded SSDs are insanely expensive. I just kept the base 1GB the computer came with and bought a Sonnet drive cage and added 2 Samsung EVO 4TB drives. So far, it's perfect for my needs.

I posted in another thread somewhere that I tried one of the OWC Accelsior 8M2 PCI-based disks, but after a few months it started throwing crazy read errors. I am going through RMA right now on it but I'm going to sell the replacement once I get it back. Didn't really care for the SoftRAID management software either.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
A grand total of -3-? Wow. Pop the champagne! 🍾

Apparently most owners are not interested in your trolling them further.

But hey, how many could a reasonable person expect? The Mac Pro makes up 3% of Mac Sales, so by default it's not as large a number as the MBA. And then there is the fact that not all MacRumors members actually own their own Mac. Why not? Many seem interested in the next iPhone color. Or trolling. Now that might make an interesting poll. Do you own a Mac? Point is, just are not that many Mac Pro owners here, and its not like you made a topic that would be interesting to those that do.

So you love it... for how long? It's disposable. As soon as you hit the wall as to its capabilities you'll have no upgrade path. You'll have to chuck it (and get another disposable "pro" machine -- if Apple has their way).

So your point was to invite people in to mock their choices? Or to just rage against Apple? Like all Macs, people buy what they need and do their own math on return on investment. It's likely most Mac Pro owners use them to earn real money, not just to haunt forums.

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
I posted in another thread somewhere that I tried one of the OWC Accelsior 8M2 PCI-based disks, but after a few months it started throwing crazy read errors.
Yes, there is a long discussion on problems in the Mac Pro 7.1 with NVME raid solutions. Seems like only the SATA connected disks function without a problem. Like your two Samsung drives. Could be related to if it is internal or "external" storage.

At least your Mac Pro IS upgradeable to a point inside the case, where the Mac Studio version is not ;)

I upgraded the SSDs in my Mac Pro 7.1, from 1TB to 4TB. But I was not lucky to find it for a lower cost. Purchased directly from Apple. Still, I am happy I did

Last edited:

Jethro!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
Or their numbers round toward 0.

But hey, how many could a reasonable person expect? The Mac Pro makes up 3% of Mac Sales, so by default it's not as large a number as the MBA. And then there is the fact that not all MacRumors members actually own their own Mac. Why not? Many seem interested in the next iPhone color. Or trolling. Now that might make an interesting poll. Do you own a Mac? Point is, just are not that many Mac Pro owners here, and its not like you made a topic that would be interesting to those that do.
There is plenty of activity here on the MP corner forums. It appears few have to do with someone having bought the 2023 MP.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.