Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
By a security update or something ?

Each time I try to boot from my HS bootable USB I got a black screen and a circle with a line through it.

Like this:

According to Apple: It's a macOS that my Mac can't use it.

And oh yeah, I finally got my hand on HS and this happens now, lol. (look at my other thread)
I got it from my older Mac at App Store and then made it a bootable drive.

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
You cant install older macOS than what you had installed on your MBP when delivered. Always been like that.
It was delivered with HS 10.3.6

I remember exactly the first time I opened my Mac and it was on Aug 31, Mojava wasn't released at that time.

Last edited:

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
The specifications for both the 13 and 15" 2018 MBP state they came with Mojave!

What is installed if you do an internet rescue install?
If I do Option+Cmd+R Catalina appears.

But when I do Shift+Option+Cmd+R it always end up with -1008f error.

I tried the solution found here and no luck:

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
I think apple are having problems with their authentication servers from other posts on here. I would just hang on 24 hours before doing anything desparate.

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
I think apple are having problems with their authentication servers from other posts on here. I would just hang on 24 hours before doing anything desparate.
Well, I did get desperate myself, lol.

But I am already over it and I am happy to stay on Mojave now.

And the issue lasted too many days, maybe a week ago.

Last edited:

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
By a security update or something ?

Each time I try to boot from my HS bootable USB I got a black screen and a circle with a line through it.

Like this:

According to Apple: It's a macOS that my Mac can't use it.

And oh yeah, I finally got my hand on HS and this happens now, lol. (look at my other thread)
I got it from my older Mac at App Store and then made it a bootable drive.
I think your problem with High Sierra is an unfortunate timing issue.
Mactracker app shows that the 2018 MBP was released with 10.13.6 Build 17G2112 on July 12, 2018. I believe this is a special version with drivers to support the new 2018 MBP hardware.
The original release of 10.13.6 was July 9, 2018 Build 17G65.
Note the release dates and Build numbers.

I don't have an answer on how you would get the special build of High Sierra to support you MBP, so it is good you are now happy to stay with Mojave.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Well, I did get desperate myself, lol.

But I am already over it and I am happy to stay on Mojave now.

And the issue lasted too many days, maybe a week ago.
You can reinstall High Sierra by starting into internet recovery using the key commands command-option-shift-r. This will get you the special version that the 2018 MBP requires. The -1008F error is related to not being able to connect to the internet.

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
The -1008F error is related to not being able to connect to the internet.
I tried using my routers 2 wifi spots, I mean the 2.4ghz and 5ghz.
Even wired connection using USBC to USB to Ethernet.

And it didn't work.

It's weird because the commands 'command-option-r' does work but with the shift it doesn't.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I tried using my routers 2 wifi spots, I mean the 2.4ghz and 5ghz.
Even wired connection using USBC to USB to Ethernet.

And it didn't work.

It's weird because the commands 'command-option-r' does work but with the shift it doesn't.
I just tested this with my 2018 13” and had the same -1008F error.
If you do want to get the 10.13.6 installer for the 2018 MBP you can use the script here and run it with the command
Code:
installinstallmacos.py --catalogurl https://swscan.apple.com/content/catalogs/others/index-10.13-10.12-10.11-10.10-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog
Then, select the 17G2208 build of High Sierra. The catch is that you must run the script on a 2018 MBP or it will fail to download this particular build. This special build doesn't show in the default catalog anymore which is why it's failing to download from recovery.

Reactions: bo-waleed

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
I just tested this with my 2018 13” and had the same -1008F error.
If you do want to get the 10.13.6 installer for the 2018 MBP you can use the script here and run it with the command
Code:
installinstallmacos.py --catalogurl https://swscan.apple.com/content/catalogs/others/index-10.13-10.12-10.11-10.10-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog
Then, select the 17G2208 build of High Sierra. The catch is that you must run the script on a 2018 MBP or it will fail to download this particular build. This special build doesn't show in the default catalog anymore which is why it's failing to download from recovery.
I would appreciate if you explain the steps for doing this, I am no expert about these stuff.

I should download the script first then enter that code you mentioned in terminal ? Or where ?

And should I have a bootable USB connecting when doing that ?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I would appreciate if you explain the steps for doing this, I am no expert about these stuff.

I should download the script first then enter that code you mentioned in terminal ? Or where ?

And should I have a bootable USB connecting when doing that ?
Yes, you’d download that script and enter that command in terminal from the directory where the script is located. This will make a disk image with the installer on it. You can then use that installer to make a USB drive.

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
Yes, you’d download that script and enter that command in terminal from the directory where the script is located. This will make a disk image with the installer on it. You can then use that installer to make a USB drive.
I didn't understand that.

I opened the directory 'macadmin-scripts-main', and then lunched Terminal from the application folder then entered that command, But it says: -Bash installinstallmacos.py command not found.

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I didn't understand that.

I opened the directory 'macadmin-scripts-main', and then lunched Terminal from the application folder then entered that command, But it says: -Bash installinstallmacos.py command not found.
Move the script itself, not the entire macadamin-scripts folder to /Users/Shared and then run the following:
Code:
sudo /Users/Shared/installinstallmacos.py --catalogurl https://swscan.apple.com/content/catalogs/others/index-10.13-10.12-10.11-10.10-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog
Putting the script in /Users/Shared will work around Apple's restrictions on apps writing to the Downloads folder and other protected directories.

Reactions: bo-waleed

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
Move the script itself, not the entire macadamin-scripts folder to /Users/Shared and then run the following:
Code:
sudo /Users/Shared/installinstallmacos.py --catalogurl https://swscan.apple.com/content/catalogs/others/index-10.13-10.12-10.11-10.10-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog
Putting the script in /Users/Shared will work around Apple's restrictions on apps writing to the Downloads folder and other protected directories.
Finally did it and made it bootable, I will stop for now and install it tomorrow.

That was a useful tool, Will it work for any Mac ? Even the Silicon ones ?

BTW, Did you try Command+r that boots to recovery mode ?
I am saying this because when I do that command it boots to internet recovery and not the internal one, And it's always ends up with the -1008f error.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
That was a useful tool, Will it work for any Mac ? Even the Silicon ones ?
That script just downloads installers. At this point, the M1 Macs use the same Big Sur installers as Intel Macs, so this would work on the M1 Mac too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.