Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snak-atak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2022
I woke up this morning and logged into my Mac (Ventura 13.2.1). For some reason, it required me to change my password before I could log in. I never had to do that before. On top of that, it requires a >=14 character password. My last password was not that long and I prefer to keep it that way. It's my Mac after all.

1677254270507.png

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to eliminate the password requirements for my own Mac?

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I woke up this morning and logged into my Mac (Ventura 13.2.1). For some reason, it required me to change my password before I could log in. I never had to do that before. On top of that, it requires a >=14 character password. My last password was not that long and I prefer to keep it that way. It's my Mac after all.

View attachment 2163821

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to eliminate the password requirements for my own Mac?

I haven't had that issue with my Mac. Is this a personal device or a company issued/managed device? If the latter, there may be a policy requiring periodic password changes.

snak-atak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2022
It's a personal device, but I did apply Intune Company Portal a few months back so I could access some work files. Not sure if that's the culprit, but I signed out of company portal and removed the app today, tried restarting and resetting the password still with no luck.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
That's not a standard macOS user account password.
Just checked on my Ventura system, and can change to new password with 8 characters or more, plus a mix of characters/numbers/special characters.
Something else is modifying/adding to what the default account login requires.
(Did you restart after uninstalling that portal app - whatever it was)

I still use a 5-character account login, even on Ventura, same password that I have used for this account for at least 20 years, and is my original password since early in Mac OS X days.
Maybe it is tied to whatever security level you are using with your AppleID? I choose to not use the upgraded security on that, so do not need to get an authentication code from another device. I use my login as a one-time login on other hardware frequrently, so still avoid that (to me) inconvenience of having to enter an authentication code. I know there is no going back to the old way, once I decide to "upgrade security", and, so far, Apple does not force the upgrade.
Maybe that is also a difference with your login?

snak-atak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2022
Appreciate the feedback. I just updated my MacBook to be sure it's not the OS. It's also now on 13.2.1 and I did not have to change the password on that device, so I am pretty sure it's a problem with Intune Company Portal. I noticed now I also am unable to access my keychain. 🤬. I am afraid that I am going to have to reset my Mac. It's a pain, but it'll probably be quicker than trying to troubleshoot these issues.

snak-atak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2022
Did you also remove the MDM profile from Settings -> Privacy & Security -> Profiles ?
I did not. I discovered other problems with my iCloud account so I ended up doing a clean install. Thanks for the tip, though. I wasnt aware of the profiles sitting there. Will definitely remember that if this happens again.

snak-atak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2022
Just a quick follow up. I did a clean install. Chose not to reinstall from a backup although I could’ve done that. Instead I reloaded the OS and each app individually. It’s now in a ‘like new’ state and ready for the work week with everything that gets thrown at it.

I appreciate your feedback. Never thought to check the profiles. I don’t plan to load company portal on that machine but if I ever do and need to uninstall, I’ll be sure to check the profiles next time!

Thank again, you guys are awesome!

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Something I just remembered - at a previous job, we had company-issued Android phones that also ran Intune Company Portal. Even on a smart phone, that app enforced some dumb passcode restrictions, coupled with a forced reset of the passcode every three months. So it seems to be a royal PITA regardless of what platform it's installed on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.