Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
I know there was a slight revision to the 20" Apple Cinema Display -- from 400 to 1 contrast ratio bumped up to 700 to 1 this year.

Did the 23" Displays also get a slight spec bump?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
All three models were bumped...all went from 400:1 contrast ratio to 700:1. The brightnesses also were bumped...20" went from 250 cd/m^2 to 300 cd/m^2, while the 23" and 30" went to 400 cd/m^2 from 270 cd/m^2.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
How can I find out the 23" ACD i am going to buy (today or in the near future) is going to be the updated version, not the previous version? Does it say something on the box? I don't recall ACD's box (package box) shows the detailed spec. Is the serial # the only way to tell if you are picking it up at the retail store?

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
How can I find out the 23" ACD i am going to buy (today or in the near future) is going to be the updated version, not the previous version? Does it say something on the box? I don't recall ACD's box (package box) shows the detailed spec. Is the serial # the only way to tell if you are picking it up at the retail store?

afaik, the serial number is the only way to tell when the acd was produced - you'll then just need to confirm the one you are purchasing was produced after the update earlier this year. if you really want to be sure, you could go to get one at a retail store, have them bring one up for you to "inspect", note the serial number before you pay for it, run to an open mac with an internet connection, go to this site, and check the production date.

i can't recall the timing of the update, but i think that you're pretty much sure to get an updated ACD at this point if you buy new, at least in the u.s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.