Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2017
I've had the Plus models--6, 7, briefly an X, and now 8 Plus. I'm 54 and like the screen real estate. I bought an X, and honestly with some text size tweaking it worked for me. Then 4 days in I had a large dust speck accumulate in the camera housing and honestly just didn't want to worry about it going forward, even with Applecare.

So I got the 8 plus. In carefully evaluating my usage needs over a few days with the X, I found I use the phone less due to S2SS AW (year old) and a S3SBSS watch I got about the same time as getting the X.

I primarily spend time in Gmail, Flipboard, Facebook, Tapatalk, and fitness apps Garmin Connect and Activity. I run with only the AW3 because it just works. Before the AW I used to check into those apps more, but now I can see notifications on the AW and choose more selectively what to peek into during the day. I do still enjoy some time at the end of the day in FB and Flipboard.

So for me, the plus model again ended up my preferred form factor, but only really because I hold it less and use the AW more. And I can partly justify the S3SBSS watch with savings on the phone and Applecare costs by getting the 8 Plus. So, I'll likely wait on the X Plus.

Just curious--anyone else have their AW become a factor in their iPhone choice?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I don’t know really. I’ve owned the Apple Watch since launch day but I’ve had every model of the plus except for the 8 plus. I had the 6 plus before I had my Apple Watch and before that I used Samsung phablets without a smart watch.

Subsequently I’ve just bought the iPhone X and will continue to use my Apple Watch.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
I can spin this several ways:

- Because I use my AW so much, I can get away with as low-spec of a phone as necessary to work with the watch. I could go back to my 5S, or keep using my little SE for as long as it remains supported by iOS updates.

OR...

- Because the watch keeps me connected so easily, I don’t have to stuff the phone in my pocket all the time anymore. I can get a bigger phone to park on the table or carry in my bag. Then, when I need to use the phone, its bigger screen size makes it easier and more useful than if it were smaller.

Etc.

This kind of “seeing all sides of an issue” can make me too indecisive for my own good.

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2017
I can spin this several ways:

- Because I use my AW so much, I can get away with as low-spec of a phone as necessary to work with the watch. I could go back to my 5S, or keep using my little SE for as long as it remains supported by iOS updates.

OR...

- Because the watch keeps me connected so easily, I don’t have to stuff the phone in my pocket all the time anymore. I can get a bigger phone to park on the table or carry in my bag. Then, when I need to use the phone, its bigger screen size makes it easier and more useful than if it were smaller.

Etc.

This kind of “seeing all sides of an issue” can make me too indecisive for my own good.

True. And I'm just as curious about whether Apple is cannibilizing its own iPhone sales with sales of Apple Watch due to less of a need for the phone to be fast, big, beautiful......

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Apple had no problem cannibalizing iPod sales.

However, the Watch still needs a phone of some kind to operate at all, and some mobile tasks are simply better on a larger screen.

Reactions: 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
True. And I'm just as curious about whether Apple is cannibilizing its own iPhone sales with sales of Apple Watch due to less of a need for the phone to be fast, big, beautiful......

I don't necessarily see the Apple Watch interfering with the iPhone. They both rely on each other one way or another to function. The Apple Watch is just meant to provide not being tethered to your iPhone all the time for fitness or when you can't always access your iPhone. The Apple Watch as great as it is, it's still a very niche category for some.

Blancavena

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2017
The Netherlands
I’ve read that some people found themselves taking their iPhone out of their pocket less because of their Apple Watch and thus be less afraid to scratch their precious iPhone X - enabling them to go naked and/or justify spending so much money on a device that could break if it slips out of your hands. Theoretically, that fair of breaking your expensive iPhone X could lead to increasing Apple Watch sales as for SOME people this (protecting the X) would be a reason (or excuse) to buy the Apple Watch.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
So I got the 8 plus. In carefully evaluating my usage needs over a few days with the X, I found I use the phone less due to S2SS AW (year old) and a S3SBSS watch I got about the same time as getting the X.

Just curious--anyone else have their AW become a factor in their iPhone choice?

I got the X because it matches my SS Apple Watch. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ had nothing to do with actual usage. just aesthetics.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
well I couldn't not use my apple watch everyday so basically i couldn't deal with not having an iphone

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
well I couldn't not use my apple watch everyday so basically i couldn't deal with not having an iphone
I'm pretty sure the question was about whether your AW usage changed your preference about what size and model of iPhone to use, not whether or not you'd use an iPhone at all.
[doublepost=1513631199][/doublepost]
I got the X because it matches my SS Apple Watch. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ had nothing to do with actual usage. just aesthetics.
I'm thinking the same, that if I choose to get an X, it'll be the polished steel version to match my SS Apple Watch (and most of my other watches, for that matter).

Reactions: Vermifuge

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
I switch between iPhone and Android fairly often. I had been using a Nexus 6P then a Google Pixel XL. The only reason I didn't continue to a Pixel 2XL was because I really wanted to get an apple watch series 3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.