Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Anyone familiar with Seagate's "Backup Plus Hub" external hard drive?

413nCWgnUmL._SX425_.jpg

I have one connected to an Airport Extreme that I've used for Time Machine backups for over a year now, but I've finally got around to plugging something into those front two ports today.

I dug two external hard drives I had out of storage, one I use as a data overflow for my computer and a second drive that my wife uses in a similar fashion.

Both drives are externally powered, so I plugged them into power and then the USB cables into each respective port. It showed up on my network and I was able to access both drives and read and write to them as I desired.

This evening after a night out I returned home to my Time Machine giving me an error message:

shapeimage_1.png

Well, yikes. Thankfully I'm actually starting a clean install of Mac OS Mojave tonight and I've just cloned my internal drive so I'm not too worried, as Id likely have to start a new time machine backup anyway.

Any thoughts on this? Is this a bit of a ****** coincidence or did I somehow "overload" the hard drive's USB ports and corrupt the main drive in the process? Guessing I'll pick up a USB hub tomorrow and hook that up to be safe.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Unlikely.
I see this occasionally. Most likely a file link error. Time Machines storage approach is not the most robust. It needs serious refactoring.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Unlikely.
I see this occasionally. Most likely a file link error. Time Machines storage approach is not the most robust. It needs serious refactoring.

Gotcha, thanks for the input. I'm debating between buying a USB hub and using that or just going back to how it was connected prior. Any input on whether I should do one or the other?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.